Record a You Tube video

Hi, I would like to ask if with Shotcut it is possible to work on the copy of any video tutorial available on You Tube.
This request is for your personal use only.
I’d like to shorten the video by eliminating the parts that don’t interest me.
Thank you.

Hey @Carlo58,

You are eligible to edit any video you want, you could also edit the copy of any YouTube video or of any other website, Shotcut wouldn’t do anything to you. But remember you maintain the term and conditions of all other sites and YouTube, from where you have taken your footage and if you are editing only for your personal purposes then you will not be violating any terms of YouTube or any other sites or you could also violate them, etc. otherwise you are free to edit any video for any purpose in shotcut.
Ar_D

Yes. You’re free to do anything you want to do with Shotcut. The free in FOSS stands for freedom.

1 Like

If a YouTube video was released under the YouTube Standard License (as the overwhelming majority are), then editing it for personal purposes is technically a violation of terms. Personal editing can only be done if the video was released under Creative Commons. This is how YouTube protects their advertising revenue.

YouTube Standard License is described in the Terms of Service:
https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms

Here are snippets from relevant sections of the Terms:

The following restrictions apply to your use of the Service. You are not allowed to:

1. access, reproduce, download, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter, modify or otherwise use any part of the Service or any Content except: (a) as expressly authorized by the Service; or (b) with prior written permission from YouTube and, if applicable, the respective rights holders;

License to Other Users

You also grant each other user of the Service a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to access your Content through the Service, and to use that Content, including to reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works, display, and perform it, only as enabled by a feature of the Service (such as video playback or embeds). For clarity, this license does not grant any rights or permissions for a user to make use of your Content independent of the Service.

The key phrase is “independent of the Service”. A downloaded video can be edited then re-uploaded, as uploading it puts it back into the Service. But a video cannot be downloaded and then used outside of YouTube for the rest of its lifetime without permission of the author.

As for Shotcut, there are no such restrictions on its usage at all. The main issue is the terms of the videos being fed into it.

2 Likes

Yup…all of this

I didn’t know that these are terms of YouTube :shushing_face: :shushing_face:, Ok Carlo these are the real rules follow them :sweat_smile:.

Read my reply again.

You can edit any video you want, you could also edit the copy of any YouTube video or of any but you have to maintain the term and condition of YouTube.

Agree you have to maintain youtube term and conditions.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.