Random crashes/hangs

Hi!
I’m new to shotcut(1 week), and so far I love it, but I have some problems with stability.
No matter what size/lenght the files I edit, at random events shotcut will crash or hang.

It can happen when I drag from playlist or preview to timeline, it can happen when I zoom, change speed, cutting from timeline, sometimes when I try to undo.

Sometimes it just outright crashes, other times it hangs.

I can’t give any reproducable examples as all crashes have been random, the closest I can get is when it last crashed while dragging a clip from playlist to timeline(Faulting module: ntdll.dll), then on restart I load autosave, twice in a row it crashed when dragging from playlist, the third time I did not load, opened the files and tried again from scratch, this time it did not crash.

The formats I edit are mostly nvenc h.264 from OBS Studio, I am currently trying to convert to prores to see if it alleviates any of the problems I have experienced.

I know this is a bit vague, but it’s all I’ve got.
I also have application event logs and shotcut log of the last handful of crashes/hangs if needed.

Thank you for any help if possible.
Keep up the great work :slight_smile:

My Shotcut version: 17.11.02
System:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro version 1709
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299.19
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4570S CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Stop using variable frame rate videos. OBS should let you use constant. I don’t know if it works in conjunction with nvenc or not.

OBS Studio uses constant as default, apparently does not even support vfr, as such all my current video files are constant(Checked with MediaInfo).

I usually mix with both 60 and 30 fps, could this cause the problems?

Turn off GPU Processing in Settings.

Thank you, that seems to have solved my issues.

FYI to all reading this: “experimental” means “might be unstable for you.” If you choose something experimental, you are expected to try out it for a while (the experiment part) and decide whether to continue to use it or not.

What settings you mean, mine keeps crashing when I skip to a certain part of my video

I can’t turn GPU processing off as I receive the following dialog box when attempting to open the project:

“The file you opened uses GPU effects, but GPU processing is not enabled. Do you want to enable GPU processing and restart?”

Any other suggestions? It’s to the point when my project can’t be edited/previewed. I’m trying to resolve an export failure and have hit a roadblock.

Can you upload the .mlt file? I believe it’s possible to edit that and remove the gpu processing requirement.

I can’t turn off the GPU Processing as it doesn’t show up in the settings? Just keeps crashing every time I try to open a project - the one I originally created.

If you do not see it any more then it is off. It changed in v18.11 to be hidden unless turned on by manually editing the configuration data or by loading a project that requires it and turns it on.

You should start a new thread if you can supply your project file for me to look at, and I can try to reproduce the crash with my own media.