Question about UX

Hi everyone,

I have a few issues that I seem to find myself experiencing which is causing some frustration, so I am wondering if I am just “doing it wrong” …

1. When attempting to cut out a short segment in a video-- when I split the video at the playhead in the two spots, if I am not zoomed in far enough, it seems there is no way to actually select the segment I want to delete. My mouse cursor never turns to the “hand grab” icon, and so I have to zoom in several times before I can actually do this. Sometimes, this just feels tedious-- especially since zooming is “slow” (there sometimes is a 1 second delay before the timeline even changes after zooming) and also zooming in once, might not be enough to select the segment… I may have to click and try, click and try, click and try, etc… Is there a key that I can hold that will force the selection mode, and disallow the <-> stretch/trim mode?

2. If I press cmd-a to select all, I cannot seem to deselect all. Clicking anywhere does not deselect anything, and I have to close my project and re-open to get things deselected.

3. Similarly, if if I have several edits and want to move them all, there seems to be no easy way to click-drag and select multiple segments… So, if I have a lot of edits, I have to painstakingly zoom in, select, scroll, select, scroll, select, etc…

Ctrl+left-arrow or Ctrl+right-arrow

Ctrl+d

Select the first clip you want, then select the last one while holding down Shift, or if you don’t want a continuous set click the ones you do want while holding down Ctrl

For more keyboard shortcuts see:

2 Likes

Select the first clip you want, then select the last one while holding down Shift, or if you don’t want a continuous set click the ones you do want while holding down Ctrl

I still am having problems with this… If I have multiple segments selected, and then drag to overlap on a previous segment to create a cross-dissolve, it does not create the cross dissolve effect… I can only do that when selecting and dragging one segment.

This is the wrong technique for this use case and said nothing about creating a transition in the original post. For this, you do not need to multiselect. Just turn on Ripple and drag the second clip of the transition leftward.

Piggybacking on this thread. I love the keyboard shortcuts but when my mouse drifts into say, filter or another area, I can’t seem to use them unless I drag my mouse to the timeline.

Is there an easy way around this? To refocus the timeline using a keyboard shortcut?

Yes shift+esc

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.