Proxy Bug (all clips have the same hash code, not creating new proxies)

What is your operating system?
Windows 10 Pro (Version 22H2)

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
22.10.25 64-bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

This problem is repeatable, every time i turn on “use proxy” the first clip in the playlist is converted into a proxy and all other clips in the playlist become the first clip despite keeping their original title and length, when i go to copy the hash codes of each individual clip they are the same as the first. This happens regardless of the order i put the videos in - the first clip is always converted to a proxy and all others copy the visual and audio information of that first clip but no separate proxies are created.

If delete the proxy and start again in a new project with “use proxy” turned off and manually select “make proxy” in the clip properties it makes a proxy of the first one i select and if i select another it does not make a proxy at all, it doesn’t go to jobs and stays as it’s original file. Hardware encoding is turned off, scaling is at 360 and i tested both “use project folder” and my own folder separately with the same results.

If i add a clip from a different shoot or in a different format it makes it’s own proxy with no problem. It seems to only be happening with clips from this particular shoot (shot on arri alexa mini, Prores 422 converted to MOV / 3840 x 2160 / 25fps/ 5806kbps) but all the clips work fine otherwise, they play in shotcut without proxy conversion (albeit a bit laggy as they are quite large) it’s only when i attempt to turn them into proxies that the issue starts.
Please let me know if there is any other info i should provide (screenshots/videos etc) and if i am just missing something obvious!

This issue has been solved, i used “Losslesscut” to save each clip as exactly the same format/size in a seperate folder and shotcut is now recognising each clip as it’s own and generating separate proxies. Not sure exactly what the problem was, possibly something to do with the apple codecs or metadata not getting on with my system. Either way in case someone has a similar problem this was an easy fix.

Shotcut has the equivalent of this (save time and steps) if you use Properties > menu > Extract Sub-clip. You can queue them up. Double click the job when it is done to open the result in Shotcut.

Cheers, that does save time.

1 Like