Problems with creating a movie from Ubuntu commandline with melt

Summary

exported-file.mlt (6.3 KB)

Before I start: I have a small example attached, so somebody might check my observation.

Now to begin: In my movies I frequently insert subtitles that slide in from the right side and fade out after some seconds. If I render the movie with shotcut, everything looks as expected.

No I want to be able to generate a movie from the commandline. So I examined and stored the XML file and started

$ /snap/shotcut/current/Shotcut.app/bin/melt exported-file.mlt

Beside an error with some libmltsox library (BTW: this is also missing when you work with shotcut) my video file is created, but the subtitle does not slide in but instead appears instantaneously at its final position.

Maybe I have to add some additional params to the “melt” command, but unfortunately I don’t know what these might be.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Rainer

This is not important. Shotcut does not use any sox effects.

Try adding LC_ALL=C to the beginning of the command line. I do not think it should matter, but it sounds like it might from the description.

1 Like

Try melt-7 -verbose -progress2 project.mlt !
I also did have problems creating videos with melt-7 project.mlt because it did not accept all input files.
Maybe these two arguments provide the file opening process more needed time!
My taskmanager showed me these arguments used by Shotcut!

Alexander

1 Like

This worked perfect! As the XML file contains a LC_NUMERIC=C I also tried it with

LC_NUMERIC=C /snap/shotcut/current/Shotcut.app/melt exported_file.mlt

and this worked as well.Thank you for this competent answer!

Rainer

1 Like

I think that these arguments only produce statistical output (verbose, progress). Of course I tried these as well before, but - as expected - with no success. LC_ALL=C or LC_NUMERIC=C is the solution.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.