Poll: should we create language-specific categories?

Should we create a category here for each language that is available within Shotcut?

• Yes, even though the developers and support staff may be unable to help.
  • No, everyone should use English (so everyone with at least some ability to read English can benefit)

0 voters

Whoops, I accidentally voted for the wrong one.

Can I change mine to English?

Thanks,

Joe

Haha. I do not know how to edit the poll results. Don’t worry about it.

Hi,

I have two contraditory opinions regarding this. English is the “lingua franca” of the Internet and if someone is in the Internet and wants to have global access it must know a little bit of english to move around.

On the other side we must not exclude people of using a good software being Shotcut or other and since Shotcut already have language translations it´s a good thing to have a dedicated category for each language.

If the decision it to create the language specific categories, a disclamer post is needed to alert that the developers don’t known every available language and that the support will depende of other specific language users to help.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

1 Like

I am in agreement here. I feel that keeping the site exclusively English in a way discourages users who do not speak it, and resources for getting help/tutorials and such are not as common in other languages. However English is the way that we can most effectively help others.

I am liking @sismeiro’s post for the disclaimer notification as well, in case the separate languages categories are made.

I am pinging this topic so it raises to the top of the list to hopefully get more votes.

I’m bi-lingual (also German). I’m active some other English forums where the issue comes around on occasion. Perhaps the best choice is a compromise of “post in the main area” but providing space for extended non-English threads.

Some people have a working knowledge of English but are uncomfortable posting in English Many of the threads here sort out the issue in a few posts. For that reason, it’s probably better to leave things as they are but offer a non-English space for extended conversations.

BTW, what prompted the question? Are you hearing about people being effectively locked out by language issues?

After voting, the button ‘Hide results’ appears. On clicking that, the poll re-appears and you can choose the other answer.