PNG and JPEG image sequence import does not work with proxy enabled

What is your operating system?

Operating System: Ubuntu Studio 20.10
KDE Plasma Version: 5.19.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.74.0
Qt Version: 5.14.2
Kernel Version: 5.8.0-50-lowlatency
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00GHz
Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Shotcut version 21.05.01

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

With proxy enabled by default, importing a sequence of images (frames extracted from a video in PNG format) does not work for me.
Proxy creates the copy of the first frame (.jpeg) and I don’t get a video sequence. I thought proxy was creating copies of all frames, but after waiting a while, in the default proxy folder, there is only the copy of the first frame.

To correct this, I disable proxy and it works correctly.

Perhaps this is not a problem and it works this way by design.
I thought this might be because of the alpha channel of PNG files, so I tried the same sequence of images with jpeg files (without alpha channel) and with webp (with alpha channel).
With jpeg I had the same problem. The proxy creation interfered with the image sequence.
With webp the image sequence import worked fine, as proxy did not even consider making a copy of these frames.

In my particular case there are almost 10,000 frames at 720 x 576 px resolution and in the editing there are not too many filters, so proxy would not be necessary, but what about other higher resolutions?

1 Like

I just tested without creating a project (with PAL SD profile) and the import was successful in PNG, Webp, and JPEG (JPG).
Then I created a test project and it worked fine. I don’t know what is going on and I can’t always reproduce it.
Here are some videos of successful import, in which even proxy does not start the first copy of the first frame.



I also experienced this strange behavior in W10 but I can’t seem to relate it to anything. I will keep trying.

We do not support proxy for image sequences. The workaround is to choose Properties > Proxy > Disable Proxy for just this image (sequence) so you do not need to disable it for the entire project. However, it is a bug that checking Image Sequence does not clear the proxy.

Now I know that when I edit this kind of project (just a video track from an image sequence + an audio track) I will disable proxy from the beginning.
Thank you.

This is fixed for the next version.

1 Like

That’s great. Thank you very much. :+1: