Please add the ability to delete a transition while restoring the original clips

If we now simply delete the existing transition, the clips remain trimmed, left at the end, and right at the beginning. And if the left one is still relatively convenient to restore to its original state, then it is practically impossible to return the right one to the exact initial state - it must be precisely moved to the right and then the left border must be pulled to the left. It is very difficult.
And that’s why I want to have one simple command, for example, right-click on a transition clip to delete the transition and restore the left and right clips. It is clear that this will shift the entire track to the right.

2 Likes

I think we can change Ripple Delete on a transition to do what you are requesting.

An interesting question that has been on my mind for a while. A transfer cannot be reversed retrospectively. For example: I’ve made a transition, then I realize it’s too short or too long. What do I do when it’s too late for Undo?

Maybe. But we can’t know the initial state unless we record it somewhere when the transition is created. Was the transition created by trimming the left clip? Or trimming the right clip? Or by moving one clip over the other? The best we could do is split the difference and take half from each of the preceding and following clips. That will actually never be the initial state because it is not possible to do that without also moving a clip. But maybe it will be more “expected” than just deleting it.

Just trim the adjacent clips to resize the transition or remove it.

Not so when ripple is on, then you can move clips and it is not necessary to record original state.

In my opinion the best option would be half-half if ripple off, and extend by 1x length of transition for each clip if ripple is on (with the corresponding extra 1x length ripple movement).

But I personally would vote for a separate Right click menu entry instead of a delete, just a personal preference, it would be weird for stuff to appear if I press delete on something.

I could imagine 5 options:

1. Remove transition, replace with blank (current delete behavior)
  2. Remove transition, replace with following (the following clip would start where the transition used to start)
  3. Remove transition, replace with proceeding (the proceeding clip would end where the transition used to end)
  4. Remove transition, replace with following and proceeding (50/50 split)
  5. Remove transition, ripple move following clips

@michel_nk, I wouldn’t complain if there was a quick way to remove a transition and bring back the missing parts of both clips.
But it’s not practically impossible or very difficult to restore the clip on the right.
There are relatively fail proof methods for doing this. Until a Delete-transition-&-restore-clips button is added to Shotcut, here’s one you could use:

1 Like

I wouldn’t complain if there was a quick way to remove a transition and bring back the missing parts of both clips.
But it’s not practically impossible or very difficult to restore the clip on the right.
There are relatively fail proof methods for doing this. Until a Delete-transition-&-restore-clips button is added to Shotcut, here’s one you could use:

Of course, this is exactly the operation I asked to automate when opening this topic. Look at the duration of your clip and compare how long it will take to press the button that I’m asking for and that doesn’t exist yet.

I was not trying to depreciate your suggestion.
I think it’s clear that I agreed with it.

The only pretention of my little video was to point out to anyone visiting this thread that the steps for removing a transition are not as impossible or difficult as they might seam.

1 Like