Play a clip backwards lags a lot

What is your operating system? Windows 11

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit? Shotcut version 22.12.21, 64bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
Just play any clip in reverse. In other video editors it is no issue to play it backwards.

When playing backwards the clip lags a lot and plays it very slowly which makes it almost unusable.

Is there anything on my side what I could do?

Try converting the clip to “Edit-friendly”. this is one of the reasons to use that feature.

Ok, could be a solution, but unfortunately too much time for converting (at least for me). Other video editors (e.g. Davinci Resolve) have no issues at all to play the clip backwards (also without converting before).

Playing some time backwards is a useful feature to find the position to find the trim out of a clip.

I believe Davinci does that by “converting” the video automatically and caching it in RAM, this makes it fast but requires a lot of RAM. Shotcut doesn’t do something like this so if the original video is heavily compressed (and it likely is, I see HEVC codec there) or if it has extra effects or text on top, it will be slow.

1 Like

It is not a bug; it is just the way it is. Lack of optimization is not a bug. Using a proxy helps tremendously.

I will try and let you know.

Yes. Totally right, a proxy helps a lot. Ok, so it’s my choice whether I want to have the proxies converted or the worse backwards playing.