Pc completely turns off when trying to export

Every time I attempt to export a video, it causes my pc to crash. No warning, no blue screen. Just a quick noise that lowers in pitch that sounds like a cartoon robot shutting down and everything is off. I used to be able to get one or two videos exported before it crashes on me like that, but now it just won’t do anything. I have no idea where to start looking.

Well there’s no bug in Shortcut that will do that.
I’d say your CPU is overheating and shutting off the PC to protect itself.
Make sure the CPU heatsink is not clogged with dust etc. If it’s a laptop, keep it off the bed or couch (no matter how often you see this on TV and in Movies it’s a bad habit)
If you’ve overclocked your PC, set it back to default values.

here is some things you can do

watch the temps on cpu in hwmonitor while running userbenchmark.com

http://www.userbenchmark.com

if it runs over 100c, then you probobly need to clean your computer on the inside, do it yourself, get your family geek or get a local pc repair place to do a clean and replace thermal paste

Userbenchmark raises the temp to a max of 58C. When exporting, the temp never goes past 89C when it shuts down on me. I dusted out my pc a couple of months ago, so I don’t believe there to be any large amount of dust inside aside from the thin, hard to see film that covers everything. I will take it apart and have a dust party, as well as removing and reapplying the heatsink and thermal paste.

I don’t know where to put the topic, so I figured bugs would work out best for me since it’s a problem, unless uncategorized would have been a better choice. If that is the case, I apologize for that.

As for heat, refer to my reply to nwgat as I clicked to reply to his comment first. I’m a newbie here so I’m not sure if a reply to his comment will notify you.

In case you are unfamiliar: A software bug is an error, flaw, failure or fault in a computer program which has to be step by step repeatable and across several test system to qualify.

If it’s not heat related then I would look at updating all the hardware drivers and perhaps installing a popular codec pack (such as K-Lite)

After reapplying the thermal paste and heatsink, it looks to have brought down temps enough for my pc to not shut down. I forgot to take note of previous idle temps, but currently it is at 32C. I decided to see how consistent the thermals are, so I rendered the same video a few times. The first time it capped at 81C, the second time’s at 83C, and the third at 87C. I’m not too sure if it will hold to a fourth without shutting down based on the trend of rising max temps. In all three tests ithe render time was roughly 4 minutes. I gave it some time to settle back to idle temp for a few minutes between each test. At this point am I ok to keep going?

Check online to find out the normal operating temperature range for the processor you have in your machine.