Optimal transitions

QUESTION: Is there a transition effect that automatically searches around split times, and/or fade-in/out lengths, of adjoining clips to produce the smoothest possible transition?

CONTEXT: My use case is of editing lectures, speeches, interviews, etc. Spoken word, IOW. Mostly all I do is chisel out filler words to shine light onto the essence. Depending on the case–and the speaker!–I may chisel out long pauses and pause words (aah, etc). I manually try to match audio levels between adjoining clips (typically the pauses in between words), and sometimes the image too (if at all possible, matching speaker’s body position on the frame).

SOLUTION: I’d love to use a transition effect that does that automatically, changing given split times (and/or fade-in/out lengths) a few miliseconds forwards and backwards to match audio (and possibly also image).

If i understand it right, you want some auto crossfades added to the audio, when you make cut like a DAW like Reaper is doing, Shotcut doesn’t do that, you have for add audio fade-in/out you self, but the smallest fade you can make is one frame. but you will need longer fade to actually hear a different from a hardcut. A DAW is much better for this, because work with the audio sample rate (fx. 48000) that is much higher than the FPS rate a video editor keyframes is using.

1 Like

Had to look up DAW—this is all above my paygrade :sweat_smile:

So, yeah, dunno… I guess. I didn’t even know this already existed. It was sorta pie in the sky idea. At the simplest level, I wished this function optimised my slices by changing their beginning and end a few miliseconds back and forth so as to minimise the difference between audio volume levels across adjoining clips. At a not so simple level, it could minimise the difference across audio spectrums. At a more complex level, it would minimise the image jerk in the transition, picking the times at which the video images are most similar to each other. And at the most complex level, it could, in addition to changing split times a few miliseconds back and forth, also add fade transitions with similarly optimised lengths.

None of this is mathematically complicated, but it’s just a theory… a fiiiiiilm theory!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.