Open to suggestions and opinions about my content

3 Likes

That was a good video about MONSCHAU. As per my perspective, nothing could be suggested to improve in this video as it is very nice, except the last credit roll, I was expecting that it will scroll up like in movies. But for the whole video, There is a thumps up from me :+1:.

1 Like

The video portion is very pretty. The music fits well. You spoiled us with some very creative transitions last time and I was hoping to see some more. There were, but not quite as many lol.

The only improvement that jumps out to me is the audio, particularly the narration. I played it on some nearfield monitors used for music production, and there was crackling and distortion in all the spoken lines and in the louder parts of the music. I haven’t analyzed the audio on a waveform, but I would assume it’s clipping. The right-click “Stats for Nerds” box in the YouTube player says the average volume level is 1.9 dB above their 14 dB reference, which is just way too loud and leaves no headroom at all for the style of music this video uses.

StatsForNerds

Dropping the volume levels then using a compressor (or more compression if using one already) could help with that in the future.

1 Like

Thanks Austin for your input! Indeed, I did not use a lot of transitions, somehow they did not fit in this video in my opinion. I wanted to make it more cinematic I guess :smiley: About the audio - you are right, I have to work on that. It was my fist trial with more advanced audio, so I had no clue xd anyway thanks again

Thanks! Maybe the next time I will maybe make it scrolling!

1 Like

It’ your personal reference, You can keep it as you like it. Like the scrolling credit is my personal reference, It doesn’t matter too much.

1 Like

Bless you for understanding that “cinematic” means fewer and simpler transitions rather than glitzy fancy transitions lol. I am so weary of the hundreds of YouTube clickbait product reviewers and tutorial makers that throw the word “cinematic” on everything for views, but their techniques have never actually been used for any cinema production and never will with any regularity. They are cool techniques for TV and YouTube and advertising, but not for cinema. Cinema uses cuts and dissolves for 99% of all transitions to avoid disrupting the storyline and to preserve the emotional flow. Occasionally, a movie like Star Wars will boldly go where no movie has gone before and use a wipe transition. But that’s pretty much it for cinema, the Big Three. I’m totally drifting off-topic here as this is obviously a sore spot with me lol, but I just wanted to say a big Thank You to you because your understanding of “cinematic” is refreshing to hear. That, and your cinematic production was more creative than “slap on a LUT that makes everything look hipster brown then put everything in slow motion”. It was refreshing. Thank you again lol.

1 Like

Really impressed by the fluidity of the visual display.:star_struck:
I’m no expert but it feels like a good quality production.
On the audio issue, the layout Shotcut has for audio provides some interesting tools to “see” some things (without actually hearing). On YT playback the narration audio (and some parts of the music) crackle in my studio headphones. So I wonder if in your project the audio peak meter didn’t reach yellow-red values.
One of the quick tricks I use for Youtube is to normalize the audio in two passes to -16 LUFS (I found this loudness value to be the recommended value for YT).
This may work against the transmission of emotions through the sound (with its changes in volume and dynamics) but on the other hand, it has the advantage that you will have a reference value for later videos to upload to the platform. That way those videos will not have noticeable (or unpleasant) differences in your playlist or on your channel.
Audio compression can also remove the dynamics of the music but you just have to try different solutions and values to find what you want to convey to others, with that audio.
Here I rescued a thread that mixed several things about audio processing and specifically talked about Youtube (and other things).
Ideal Volume Levels for Audio on YouTube Uploads? - Help/How To - Shotcut Forum
I love the naturalness of the moment, the color treatment, and the planning of the scenes.:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

2 Likes

That’s a great loudness target for anything that involves mobile devices. Audio that’s louder than -16 LUFS loses critical headroom for expressiveness and dynamics on large speakers. Audio that’s quieter than -16 LUFS may not be heard well on the tiny internal speakers of smartphones. This is according to an AES and Apple study, which I’ve been able to verify is true at a live streaming studio.

1 Like

I love the mood and tone you set on your videos. I get what you’re trying to do. Amazing job!

Right off the bat, I would try to separate your intro text from the background by creating some sort of color contrast or blurring the background temporarily while the text is there. The “Travel in Germany” was almost invisible on my screen because it’s so close to the color of the background. I think everyone already addressed the sound design. My personal preference is to create a real 21:9 aspect ratio instead of adding black bars because it might show weird on other monitors. Lastly, if cinematic is your route, I would tell the actor to not look directly into the camera to break the fourth wall.

Overall, another great video!

3 Likes

Agree.

2 Likes

Right, thanks! I will use another ratio next time and tell my boyfriend to admire the nature instead of the camera next time :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback! I fully agree with the audio issue. I will have to learn more about it and use your tips the next time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nicely done. The video was well presented. The music fit well.

I think you were right to keep any transitions simple. Sometimes fancy transitions can distract from the video. I think the way you transitioned from one scene to the next was just fine.

I agree, especially with cinematic videos. If you were to use transitions, it needs to be tasteful, appropriate and mostly, not noticeable. I did see a great opportunity when your bf’s head crossed the screen. You could’ve used his head as a transition point or even a wipe transition.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.