Open other makes track only on centre portion of main clip

Windows 10 pro - Shortcut V21.03.21

Hi

I’m totally new to this - literally - one hour in. I want to highlight a portion of the screen on an explainer video. According to tutorial this is done my applying an opacity video track above the relevant area of the content track and then creating a mask in the opacity track - this make sense.

So I created a new video track by selecting ‘Open other’ / select colour then black / drop the new clip onto a new video track on the timeline / apply opacity. The opacity is working but the new created colour clip only covers a small centre portion of the playback screen.

I tried it with another ‘open other’ option and got the same problem. It seems that the clip created with ‘open other’ is way smaller than the rest of the main vid track.

How to i control the size of these ‘open other’ defaults to be the same size as my imported vid please? Incidentally, i chose default for my vid settings when i started the project.

Here is the problem, thanks for your help:

Use the slider controls to adjust sizes.
Scroll up and down on the number values for greater precision.
2021-08-21_04-48-22

Not sure which Operation you’re working with though.
This is if you want just one spot to be highlighted.

Open Other color takes on the resolution of the Video Mode. If you haven’t set the video mode, then it’s Automatic:
2021-08-21_05-00-01

Hi,

Thanks. Actually, the problem i was having was a bug which i have resolved with a restart. That said, I think you are applying the opacity and mask filters simultaneously to the main vid track which is a much quicker route to what i want to do so I will do it that way - thanks for your help, cheers.

I only applied filters to the color clip, not the video track.
Color clip on V2 as in your screenshot

Thanks Hudson, Yes, I see. I am getting into the swing of it now. So apply the black clip then opacity and mask on that. Cool. Thx.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.