Oh no, my hard drive fried

This is a reminder for Shotcut users to back up their data regularly!
Well, thankfully, the hard drive was not totally fried. What happened was …I started up my computer yesterday and got a BIOS message: 1720 - SMART hard disk imminent failure - attribute #B8.
Press F1 to boot…
It got to the Microsoft PIN stage, then - black screen. Nothing.
Oh no, I had been particularly lax recently about making backups of important files …
One glimmer of hope was that the orange HD activity light came on, flickering, indicating that hopefully the HD had not totally died.
Thankfully, after taking out the HD and hooking it up to my laptop via a USB docking station, it was recognised and I’m able to transfer all my data. Should take a couple of days…
Looks like I got away with it this time but I’m posting to remind folks of the importance of backing up.
Now I have to make the decision about whether just to replace the HD and re-install Windows my old steam machine, or take this opportunity to buy a new computer… any advice on how to break this to my wife!!! :rofl:

3 Likes

Buy a new HDD or SSD, I think it might be much cheaper than buying a whole new desktop. It just depend on how much storage you want and the read and write speed. A normal 1TB ssd would come around 100-120 bucks and A HDD would come around 20-30 bucks. Fortunately, I have my data backed up on Drive and dropbox.

1 Like

If you remember when you met her first time, than gift her something on the same date and tell about the fail next day. Hope she doesn’t do anything to you, because my girlfriend almost broke down my hand when I lost her handbag.

2 Likes

This just reminded me to back up my files to an external drive

2 Likes

Since your YouTube page is monetize and you’re deriving income, I see the new computer as a “business expense.”

3 Likes

Cool idea, Ben, I will definitely spin that line… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
(PS my tiny income from YT would just about buy me a power lead and plug)…

1 Like

Hey it’s free money

1 Like

True. I’d do better busking though… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Aren’t you the boss in your household ? :smirk:

https://streamable.com/z3slq7

1 Like

Everybody shows off they are, but in reality they aren’t. Are you the boss? Or the mam?

1 Like

Of course he is, and he’s got his wife’s permission to say so.

Fried HDD and (computer) chips is no yolk!

2 Likes

@elusien, @musicalbox, @Ar_D , LOL, guys, so funny! In pecking order I am definitely well below the dog… LOL
Spent 12 hours today copying files … lovely…

2 Likes

LOL!!!
:rofl::rofl:

u can always pay 1,000 dls and recup a fried HD… i learned to bkup !!
wife are always fried and replaceable (just among us)

1 Like

Fried in somewhat cases, could be said, but replaceable, impossible!

(It’s post 2)

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.