Noise Reduction filter request

Hello

First of all thank you for this excellent video editor.
Is there a possibility for a noise reduction filter, a bit like the Audacity Noise reduction filter?
The reason for asking is that sometimes the camera is not suppressing the wind noise enough and then there is a very annoying wind noise in the final video.

A Noise reduction Filter would be a great help.

I tried a high pass filter and then filtering away all frequencies below 600 Hz, but then the video’s don’t exactly nice anymore

1 Like

When I read your title I thought it was about an image noise reduction, as I’m not completely happy with the existing one;)
As for the wind noise, no filter is really satisfying: sometimes it is so loud that it completely hides the rest. As for me, if there are few noisy clips, I import them into Audacity (which can open the sound from a video directly), fix the audio, export it to a lossless format, mute the clip sound and add the fixed sound instead. If there are a lot of noisy clips, I export the sound of the whole edited video to a lossless format, fix the audio in Audacity then import the “clean” audio into Shotcut.

Hello Francois

Yes a person can reduce the noise with Audacity and then import the exported sound clip again, but that is cumbersome especially when it concerns many clips.
I mainly make movies on holiday and a complete movie can be made out of over 250 clips.
In my opinion it will make sense to add a Noise reduction Filter for the sound, to suppress the roaring of the wind. In my opinion a lot of people will benefit from this, because noise because of the wind is a common occurrence.

Have you considered buying a ‘dead-cat’ for your recording device?

I definitely agree with @Steve_Ledger on this one. Preventing as much wind noise as possible will help you out post production.

I also agree with @Francois_C with using Audacity for fixing the current files you currently have. Audacity is really great at fixing audio, where just a generic filter will not fix issues such as deafening wind noise which may or may have not completely ruined the audio. I do suggest at least trying out Audacity with a few files. 250 does seem daunting.

But having fixed the currently damaged audio the right way is so much more pleasing than trying to band-aid bad audio with just one generic filter.

(funny editing story)
I’m someone who spent 6 hours with 4 other volunteers to film a very important public meeting, I had all of the right set up, hair lights correct, camera angles right, people zoomed in time every time I needed them, but the main mixing board I plugged into was bad, and only had one independent camera with a live mic outside the mixing board. Linear editing in 2000. I tried everything to fix the audio with the lone camera mic. Spent close to 40 to 50 hours trying edit that audio, with linear equipment. That meeting never seen the light of day.

If you’re using an on-board camcorder mic or a cell phone, they sell these stick-on windscreens:

Try a really deep low-cut filter at 120 Hz. 600 Hz is too high.

Thank you for your replies. I am just making holiday movies and movies when I go on a trip. Not professionally.

I am using 2 different cameras, high end compact cameras, Canon SX280HS and Sony DSC-WX350
These are compact cameras, and yes I try to prevent wind roaring as much as possible of course.

If it can be implemented I think it will beneficial not just to me but for other people as well.
When you walk around with a compact camera a dead cat recording device is definitely not practical.
As I said before I am very impressed with Shotcut and I am using it as the only video editor for about 2 years now.

Perhaps, but it is essential if you want wind-noise free results. (Did you look at the Amazon link posted by Chris?)
Looking for some post-processing audio filters to deal with it is not the best means by far and will only always give you mediocre to ‘meh’ results.

In this case, I edit losslessly the whole video sound in Audacity afterwards. This also allows removing trigger or focusing noises which often occur with small cameras. I agree with Steve about ‘dead-cats’, and Hudson555x about a generic filter being not as efficient as Audacity.
When the sound is irrecoverable, I sometimes use sound from another clip or stock environments from my HDD.

A dead cat is not a recording device, just a cover.
deadcat

My other thought is to make one yourself and see what kind of weird smiles or gestures from people that may pass through your video.

Interesting subject… Sorry you’re not liking Shotcut. Hope you find a solution to your audio problem.

In both digital and analog I’ve always found it best to start with source material which is as clean as possible rather than try to “fix” things after the fact. That means using a windscreen and stopping the wind noise before it gets into your video. Fixing things leaves artifacts and is time consuming. So put a windscreen over your mic and be done with it.

I once went on an outdoor shoot and had a nice mic with a windscreen all ready to go. When I went to do my shoot, guess what I forgot in the hotel room! I had to use the on-board camcorder mic. As I was shooting a very gentle sea breeze came up. I thought, “Oh, no, this is going to ruin my audio!” When we played it back, my buddy and I agreed that it actually added something to the atmosphere of the video.

I still use a mic with a windscreen. If the breeze that day had not been so gentle it really would have ruined the audio.

1 Like

First of all I like Shotcut very much as I said in my first post.
I will look into getting a dead cat as soon as possible.

To be honest I had never heard about a dead cat device before.
And I made the suggestion because in my opinion it will help a lot of people me included.

To reiterate, it’s not a device - it’s a fluffy/furry mic covering that filters out wind noise.
They’ve been around forever and used widely in the movie, TV, documentary, you-name-it industry. :slight_smile:

Understood, but a lot of people into video recording already know about mic covers (AKA: Dead Cats)

1 Like

Its not called a dead cat! Its a wind sock.

Sorry Buddy, but that’s exactly what’s it’s called and known as in the industry :wink:

1 Like

Hello my friend
I do not find any noise reduction filter. Where is this filter and what it name?

All that we offer is a Noise Gate filter.