No option to show/hide Convert to Edit-Friendly dialog

I work with many, many VFR clips, and the vast majority of them don’t wind up requiring conversion to produce the desired results. As such, I normally keep the Convert to Edit-Friendly popup dialog turned off. In Shotcut 23.09.29, I don’t seem to be able to do this. If I create a shotcut.ini, no showConvertClipDialog variable appears in the file, and adding one has no effect within the program. Likewise, there’s no showConvertClipDialog value in the registry, and adding one does nothing. Has the option been removed or moved elsewhere?

1 Like

It is there, but the way the convert dialog appears changed in version 23.09 when either opening multiple files or dragging from a file manager to Playlist or Timeline - even single files. This change broke that option to stop showing the convert dialog. The change was designed to better handle dealing with multiple files potentially needing conversion. But sadly another change that broke something and needs fixing. If you open a single file or drop a single file to the player, then it will skip the convert dialog if you requested that.

This is fixed for the next version.

1 Like

What CRF are you using now in this conversion? Also, what speed preset? The conversion is pretty lossy.
I can see that there’s this issue now where the dialog doesn’t pop up when replacing files. I’ve installed 23.11 beta and it still doesn’t detect that the swapped source files are now variable framerate. The options to render through DirectX / OpenGL etc. are also gone, I now need to edit the registry, please don’t remove features.
Because I understand that this conversion is done with ffmpeg, I did a workaround where I convert them to fixed framerate in ffmpeg myself beforehand in a Powershell batch script. Before that, I was rendering the unconverted to edit friendly video with bad audio (crackling) and then swap the source files with the “converted to edit friendly” ones with lossy poor quality video and good audio and render again just for the audio. Then I would swap the audio in Avidemux so that I have the quality video with the good audio. However, I am having issues lately, 2 seconds into the clip at the first keyframe of a clip or something I am getting an audio stutter that is not present before adding the files to Shotcut. Altering the keyframe interval changes the position of the stutter in the clip.
You can hear the audio stutters 2 seconds into each clip here, I tried all sorts of options, including using proxy files, nothing worked. I have a Ryzen 7 5700x that doesn’t have any issues with 4K video.

I am actually writing tutorials on Shotcut for use with VR video and I wish Leo Sutic would adapt the code to support 3D VR180 and 3D 360, it would be easy for him. Maybe he could even be sponsored by the VR180 community to adapt his 360 filters to 3D 360 and 3D VR180.

I would also like to see the filepath of a clip, such as in the Properties of the clip.

On the up side, Shotcut is appreciated by the VR community because it is good, free and open source, generally the editors for VR are very expensive.

You can view the generated command line in the application log. If you do not like the lossy conversion use one of the other options. I am not going to change it. Too many people already complain it makes file that are too big.

I can see that there’s this issue now where the dialog doesn’t pop up when replacing files. I’ve installed 23.11 beta and it still doesn’t detect that the swapped source files are now variable framerate.

It never did that when manually replacing/swapping files, and it never will. That is deceiving Shotcut. Shotcut is not going to test or compare all of the files in a project upon opening because it will make opening projects take too long.

The options to render through DirectX / OpenGL etc. are also gone, I now need to edit the registry, please don’t remove features.

That was not a feature. The OpenGL option existed because previously it did not support the platform-native GPU APIs. That old DirectX option was using a library to translate OpenGL to Direct3D. Now, it directly calls Direct 3D on Windows. Changing the registry will not make a difference in what Shotcut uses now.

I did a workaround where I convert them to fixed framerate in ffmpeg myself …
2 seconds into the clip at the first keyframe of a clip or something I am getting an audio stutter

Good luck fixing your problem.

I would also like to see the filepath of a clip, such as in the Properties of the clip.

Already there in 2 ways: tooltip on the name displayed on the top, and in the menu button to copy it to the clipboard.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.