New version crashing

What is your operating system?
Surface pro 6 i7

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
Latest version windows

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Since updating to the new version last night almost anything I’ve tried to do has caused it to get stuck on (not responding).

This used to happen occasionally on the previous version when it was processing complex input and then the program would continue as normal. On this update it gets stuck on not responding for seemingly no reason, even just clicking on an empty timeline bar caused it to stop responding at one point, and I have to force close it.

Ive redownloaded the previous version as I need to complete my work but just wanted to let you guys know!

Does “latest version of Shotcut” mean 21.01.29 or 21.02.15 beta? There was a significant number of bug fixes in the new beta. The Help > About box in the menu will show the version that’s installed.

1 Like

I’ve also experienced an unusually higher instances of crashes on 21.01.29 on actions that did not crash on previous version like keyframing SR&P.

It was on version 20.01.29

This is not surprising. There were major changes under the hood for technology updates (dependent libraries). Since there is not much specific steps all I can suggest is that you test the 21.02.15 beta where there was a fair amount of new and old bugs fixed.

1 Like

Is it possible to have a stable and beta version installed at the same time?

1 Like

Yes. It is as simple as extracting the portable into a unique folder. Or if using the installer, choosing a different destination. However, the installer will always overwrite the Windows start menu item with the most recent install. In that case, you would need to navigate to the folder and double-click shotcut.exe. Or you can right-click and make a desktop shortcut that you rename to put its version into.

2 Likes

Great! I’ll try that. I’ve always wanted to beta test some of the new ones, but I’m afraid to override the current stable build, since I use that both personally and professionally.

I also experience on 20.01.29.same issue.