New crash bug with Text filter on v18.07

Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1803

1. Open Shotcut in Auto video mode - GPU efects ‘off’
  2. Drag a video file to the preview window
  3. Select the text filter
  4. Delete the #timecode# from the text filter input.
  5. Drag the video from the preview to the timeline
  6. ~shotcut crashes~

100% repeatable

Windows 10 x64 1709
German language
German (Swiss) region settings

No issue on my computer :roll_eyes:

Edit:
After some testing, I got Shotcut to crash, by switching between Source and Project after draging the clip to the timeline. Just similar to the issue I reported here and already documented with this video:

I did exatly the same as in this video, except that I used a text filter and removed #timeline# as described by Steve_Ledger.

Edit 2: After some testing, I was able to get Shotcut to crash without changing the text of the filter, just applying the text filter and draging the Source to the Timeline. But it’s not reproducable 100%, but at least after changing back and forth between Source and Project, Shotcut will crash.

@Steve_Ledger:
What error do you get in your windows error log when Shotcut crashes?

I always get one of the two errors (sorry for german):

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: shotcut.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5b3a03fe
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: Qt5Qml.dll, Version: 5.6.1.0, Zeitstempel: 0x57a69379
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000fe19e
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x45a4
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d41873875437e2
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Shotcut\shotcut.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\Shotcut\Qt5Qml.dll

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: shotcut.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5b3a03fe
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: Qt5Core.dll, Version: 5.6.1.0, Zeitstempel: 0x57a6bd03
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x000000000008cde8
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x3980
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d418730af0a2a0
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files\Shotcut\shotcut.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files\Shotcut\Qt5Core.dll

Doing what @Steve_Ledger did…
Wouldn’t crash for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit 1803

But doing what Steve Ledger did, then doing what @Faeb35 did, it crashed. The text filter preview got all white. I could click source just once, then when I hit Project, it crashed. And when I say crashed, I mean it just closed itself. No error dialog.

It actually reopened to where it crashed, and here is the mlt file: text crash.mlt (3.9 KB)

It will not crash now, but I also can’t see the source file in it’s current state. It will not switch between source and project, just the white screen.

If I uncheck the text filter, I see the source file and everything works as it should. If I just put a single space in the text filter text box, everything works as it should. I couldn’t make it crash again from this point.

I had to change the title of this post to something useful as it as very useless. Don’t make useless subject lines, please.
There was a change to the compositor that Text uses in this version (same as that used in Size and Position and Rotate and Scale filters). That is to fix a bug compositing bug and to support sub-pixel precision when animating motion.

Simply making the text blank gives me a corrupt image, which is a sure sign of trouble to come:

Sorry you felt that way, Dan. I obviously didn’t.
Your edit hardly adds a lot, the thread will still need to be read for the details no matter the title.
I didn’t feel it particularly necessary [in this instance] trying to explain the nature bug in the subject line.
Telling me it was useless is rather rude of you.
Have a good day.

1 Like

And I think your response is much more rude.

Let me explain. The above could be said about every post. If every post says “see the body” then the listing of posts is useless. I do appreciate your steps; it is a stellar example of a bug report!

This problem is fixed for the next release v18.08!

1 Like