My videos export extremely slowly. HELP!

I have a gaming (Rocket League) video that is about 1 hr 10 mins in length, and is 720p30. I am 6% done with exporting rn and it is estimating that there are 10 hours left to finish exporting. Only changes I’ve made are clipping out unneeded parts and adding a very simple graphic that appears over the video for like 5 seconds and appears 9 times throughout the video. I am using the fastest options for rendering.

My computer is a dual-core at 2.16 Ghz and 4 GB of RAM. Any ideas to make the rendering as fast as humanly possible?

At least 4 GB for SD, 8 GB for HD, and 16 GB for 4K.
CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD, and 4 cores for 4K.

Short answer, no. Based upon the ram you have. You may have 4gb of ram, but how much is your Operating System using? What’s left over is being used, along with the speed of your CPU chip doing the heavy lifting.

If you’re making a video YouTube, did you choose the YouTube preset before exporting? There are so many other variables, but not enough information to help any further, at least from my experience. I know many others in here might offer a better opinion.

Yeah, I have some ideas. I’m no expert but I’ve cobbled together some presets from comments I’ve read here on the forum.

My short answer is: more speed = lower quality. However, “lower quality” doesn’t always mean lower quality, just that the settings need to be turned down. You’ll need to figure out where the sweet spot is for the finished product that you’re going for.

So what I’ve done to greatly increase export speed without sacrificing quality is (as @Hudson555x said) to start with the YouTube preset, then I change the rate control to Average Bitrate and set the bitrate to something appropriate for YouTube. (for 720p, that’s 4 or 5M I think – but 1M can still look pretty good, especially for rough draft purposes.) I’ve seen that a lot of other users like to use the Quality-based bitrate setting instead, with a much lower % than you might expect.

If I want a quick export, I’ll go to the Other tab in the export area and type “preset=ultrafast” and if I’m making a finished video for uploading I’ll type “preset=slower” instead, expecting to walk away from the computer for a while (perhaps overnight.) I also add “rescale=hyper” in both cases.

So, while it might still take a long time, you can try some of those settings to see if they speed things up. (maybe it’ll go from 10 hours to 6 hours : )

Hey there! I since this reply, I have gotten a newer (Slightly better) computer, and using all the methods you said to make it as fast as humanly possible, my 4 minute video is estimated to only take 30 minutes! I think that’s pretty good to see! Thanks for your help! (I know its a very late reply, but I’ve taken a break with video editing)

1 Like