My video exported half black. Help?

My video was 4 minutes and 9 seconds long. I edited it together in shotcut. Everything looked fine in the preview. I had a proxy on and my preview scaling was set to 360p. I exported my video and uploaded it to Youtube only to find that the whole second half of my video is entirely black. It has music audio that I added after the fact and sound effects, but my voice which was part of the video itself cannot be heard in the second half. What do I do?

It isn’t a problem with Youtube because when I go back into my File Explorer and look at the File itself, the second half is black. So something must’ve happened while it was exporting and I didn’t notice. I don’t have the shotcut project still open and I don’t know how to get back to my old project because it doesn’t appear in the autosave files and the App Data Directory.

No one can help you fix the broken video if you did not save. Here is what you should do: turn off proxy, start over, and save periodically use File > Backup and Save (added in version 23.09). In the past there was a bug with using proxy on a video made with some Android phones. Maybe you were affected. That was fixed in version 23.09.

Ok. I created my video on my PC though. I have a quick question though. How do I decide what the best export settings for my video should be? I want a 4k video which I have been getting and usually I just click export file without modifying anything.

Also, one question about autosave. How come autosave doesn’t always work? Thank you so much for your time.

Are you working with external storage devices?
I also did experience in the past random black screen problems with photo slideshows which have been stored on a too slow external disk.
It can happen that the OS tells Shotcut access denied on some source files while exporting ending which results in black video sections.

The fact that your video looked fine in the preview but not after exporting hints that something might have gone a bit wonky during the export process.

Here’s what you can do:

1. Check Export Settings: Re-open Shotcut and take a gander at your export settings. Make sure everything is set correctly. Sometimes, if the settings are off, it can mess up your video.
  2. Re-Export Your Video: Try exporting your video again. It’s like giving it a second shot. Sometimes, just re-exporting can fix these mysterious issues.
  3. Proxy Settings: Since you mentioned using a proxy, try turning it off and exporting again. Proxies help with editing smoothly, but they can sometimes be a bit tricky when it comes to exporting.
  4. Audio Issues: For the missing voice in the second half, check the audio tracks in Shotcut. Maybe the voice track got muted or there’s an overlap with other audio.
  5. Update or Reinstall Shotcut: If nothing works, consider updating Shotcut to the latest version, or uninstall and reinstall it. This can often fix hidden bugs.
  6. Final Check Before Uploading: Before you upload to YouTube again, play your exported video on your computer. Make sure everything looks and sounds as it should.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by external storage devices. I think it means the device I am using to transfer my files to my computer? What I have right now is a microSD card reader so whenever I am done filming videos, I take my SD card out of my go pro and pop it into the microSD card reader that is connected to my PC. Then I go into file explorer and click on Removable Disk and drag my video files into shotcut. What is the most efficient and safe way to transfer files from my SD card to my computer for editing?

Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately I can’t go back and try any of those solutions because I deleted my project in shotcut as soon as it was done exporting. I know… stupid me. I will try those solutions next time if something goes wrong.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.