My "sun" animation using image sequence

Hi folks. I had an idea. So I wrote a piece of flute music and called it “Daybreak”. It’s an educational “warm-up” piece for flute students.

I’m making a video to showcase the sheet music. My idea was to create an animated sunshine effect.

Here’s the effect (no audio):

Here’s the flute video I’m working on (unfinished):

I thought I’d share my process in stages:

1. With a marker pen and paper, I drew a basic “sun and rays” - a blob with radiating lines:

2. Scanned the image, printed, rescanned with two images per page.

3. Printed 7 copies, giving 14 sunshine images.

4. Using all the artistic flair I could muster, I changed each image slightly by increasing the width of the rays (randomly), changing slightly the size/shape of the sun (blob). Also I added some more lines and dots.

5. Re-scanned all the images, and used the Windows Snipping Tool to capture and save each image as a separtete JPG (named 1.jpg up to 14.jpg. Here’s the image folder (no audio):

1. In Shotcut - dragged all 14 images to the playlist.

2. Selected image 1 and in properties, I set it to “image sequence” - 3 frames (my video mode is 1080p, 30fps):

3. Dragged the image to the timeline - hey presto, it generated a 1-second video.

4. Applied 3 filters:
    Invert Colours;
    Blend Mode (Add);
    Colour Grading (highlights set to yellow).

5. Copied and pasted the clip 7 times to repeat the animation, giving a 7-second animation.

6. Exported as an Mp4.

I now have a sun animation with a yellow sun and a black background, ready to import into a video and apply a chroma-key filter. Woo hoo, thanks, Dan; @shotcut, Brian; @brian and the Shotcut team for Shotcut’s continual, day-in, day-out development!

5 Likes

Nice idea! Reminds me of the Roobarb and Custard animation (for non UK members, it’s a mid-70’s British kids cartoon show)

1 Like

I love it! Great animation!

2 Likes

Hi @PaulusMaximus , yes! I remember watching it! I wonder if they drew every frame by hand?

The technique also reminds me of the recent UK Red Bull adverts. I suspect, though, that some computer input helped them to create the shaky effect:

Thanks @brian! Took a while, though - about an hour to scan, draw and import into Shotcut, just for 1 second of animation. Lord knows how long it took the Roobarb and Custard team to create their videos…