Video made with free stock footage

Used following filters :

Sharpening
White balance
Levels (red/green/blue seperately)
Saturation
Reduse noise (wavelet 10%)

1 Like

Nice work! What about colour grading instead of levels + saturation? And the order of the filters, usually sharpening is recommended for last. I’ve not used the Reduce noise must try that. Specially liked the effect on the clip with the wave.

Well done! Yes, sharpening should be the last. Reduce noise and sharpening are a bit contrary. Don’t see the reduce noise effect much in the vid. For the slow move over, i think it is too slow and could be more concentrated in the middle. I think i would prefer just a constant split in the middle over the slow move.
What would be interesting: what filter pays how much to the overall encoding time. I recognized many filters put heavy load on the cpu for rendering, it can slow up thing 10x and more. Each filter may differ a lot.

Indeed, sharpening en reducing noise is contradictory…never thought about that.
Thanks for your advice.

It is often beneficial to use both filters as you did. The sharpen filter is applied based on the amount of difference between neighboring pixels. The sharpening theory is that true edges will be higher contrast than a shape’s interior (where colors should be similar). But noise creates luma and color differences in the shape’s interior that the sharpen filter will exaggerate, creating the texture appearance of sandpaper. Noise reduction removes those minor differences in the interior so only the true edges receive a contrast enhancement. This makes for a less gritty-looking final image. This is also why sharpening comes after noise reduction in most cases.

1 Like

I will take the order of both filters in mind on all future productions.

Now, for the filters I commonly use, what would be the logical order in Shotcut…?

White balance
Levels
Saturation
Sharpening
Noise reduction

Thanks in advance…

For that list, the order looks good as it is except the last two. If sharpening comes before noise reduction, it could exaggerate noise to the point that noise reduction will no longer view it as noise and will leave it alone, thinking the sharpened noise is an intentional edge. Although, if the sources are stock footage that’s already free of noise, then using noise reduction last can create results like a softening filter but doesn’t blur edges. I guess it depends on the artistic look you want.

2 Likes

100% agree, sharpening should always be the last step unless you are after something special/artistical.
Very good sharpening algorithms already take the pros and cons into consideration and apply sharpening only there where it is needed (they try to…). Or they combine a noise reduction followed by a sharpening of edges. Such filters are available for image editing as in photoshop e.g. like in the topas filter library or similar, but are very specific and too demanding for video editing.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.