My new tutorial on Youtube

I discovered Shotcut a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been learning the basics from Youtube tutorials and this forum - thanks, guys, for all your help!

I decided to make my first video a tutorial (!). It shows how I created a short opening sequence to a video I’m planning to do, called “One World”.
My video has just gone live on Youtube, here:
My new tutorial video

This tutorial covers some basic/intermediate techniques, including:
Editing on the timeline,
Muting audio,
Slowing down video,
Adding text,
Fading in/out text,
Using multiple tracks,
Adding an audio track,
Replacing audio.

I realise that I may be able to do some of the operations a little faster with a little more practice - Please bear with me if this is the case - and I would welcome (constructive) comments from this forum if anyone here can help me with any further tips or general comments about my tutorial.
Thanks!
Jon

4 Likes

Nicely done, Jon. But you must be a “young buck.” As an aging geek I had to stop the video a bunch of times and back it up to see what you did - you went way too fast for me. On the other hand, I find some other tutorials plodding. Yours definitely was not!

It is interesting to watch others put together a video since there seems to be more than one way to do the same thing. For instance, I have been following the shortcut list published here and adding a Playlist clip to the Timeline I have been using A or V. For a couple of weeks now I have been making my own shortcut list, adding the “missing” shortcuts and reordering them by relevance.

Again, nicely done, thanks for sharing and best regards.

-=Ken=-

Very nice and informative. Great to see how other users create with Shotcut. Well done.

Many thanks for the reply, Ken - I’m not actually young anymore, unless you count 58 as being young! Yes, I have been a little frustrated with some of the more slow-moving tutorials on Youtube so I decided I’d make sure I go fairly fast on mine and show each step I took along the way. And thanks for the tip on using A and V to get clips from the playlist to the timeline. I will investigate!
Best wishes
Jon

Thanks, Mike, your comments are much appreciated. I hope it gives someone some useful tips.

By way of constructive criticism, I’ll play the curmudgeon card here… :smiley:
If you plan to do more tut’s, please buy a microphone…

1 Like

nice tutorial…well done…i’m still fairly new to Shotcut myself…and this was really helpful…thanks

:grinning:
(Your curmudgeonly comment made me smile, Steve … :blush:)

As a pro musician I do have a very nice AKG microphone (2 in fact, and also a 16-track mixing console) so I have the necessary hardware - I just decided to add subtitles to my first tutorial instead of adding a commentary! (I am now the world expert at creating subtitles and let me tell you it would have been a LOT easier to use a microphone …) :yum:

… mainly because of the (to me) weird way that the text size varies according to how many characters you use each time. I had over 100 subtitles in that tutorial, and I had to manually resize every one, trying to make them all the same size. I didn’t succeed!

I really hope later versions include the choice to choose a set font size for text. I know I could use HTML overlay but I’m new to that and would welcome any help/ advice with doing that. And I presume with HTML it would be hard to position the text accurately each time?
Thanks Steve for your reply…
PS Is it OK if I start a new thread discussing this text size issue, since this post will be deeply hidden from immediate view on the forum?

Gosh, I went to you tube, but was unable to see the video. For some reason the HTML5 wouldn’t
co-operate for me.

Hi ellisand,

It’s still out there:

It’s 7 months old now, and I did it with a really old version of Shotcut, but thanks for your interest!
Jon