My latest film. Jason Bourne color grading style using custom LUTs

For my latest work I created a LUT that was later used in shotcut and further graded using the tools within the app.

I went with a, “Bourne Identity” grade using this scene in the movie as a reference:

Only problems I had editing were the banding at times when the camera overexposed, but was able to solve it, for the most part, using deband.

All in all, it’s not 100% accurate, but I think it’s pretty close to the film’s grading. If you want the LUT send me a message and I’ll give it to you for free.

2 Likes

Very nice scenery.
The video looks a little dark for my taste, but I guess that’s to be expected when mimicking the Bourne ambiance. So, good work and thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Darn, I posted a reply and mistakenly clicked on the trash button. Thanks for the comment! It’s underexposed, in part due to trying to avoid blowing up the highlights on the sky, and also because I should have set the camera to manual.

I’m thinking of upgrading to a 14bit camera so I can have more dynamic range and style it further. At this point I have to either give up the sky (highlights) or underexpose the scenery, but the scenery is more important.

Glad you like it and thanks for the comment! Cheers

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the video you made. Nice! If you want to share your LUT, then you can posts it in the Resources category with the LUT tag.

1 Like

Appreciated! I’ll look it up!

So I tried uploading, but I got a error message saying I’m not authorized, only jpeg or similar image formats? I unselected images and chose all files, but still won’t let me. What am I doing wrong?

I had to add the LUT filename extensions to the list of allowed files. I just tested it with .cube, and now it works. Please try again.

1 Like

Cool! I just added it, let me know if it works please. Cheers

Yes, it worked thanks, but I had to set the category and tag for you:

1 Like

Oops, sorry I didn’t quite get it right, appreciated though.

@OnWheelsAndWings a bit off topic, I looked at your videos on youtube and like them, well done.
Can you tell me what camera/Dashcam are you using to film from the car. I like the quality.

1 Like

Howdy. I use a Sony hx9v ($50 bucks on ebay) and a Gopro 7 Black for the in-vehicle shots. With the Gopro I shoot raw. Unfortunately the Sony doesn’t have that option, but it’s not terrible just have to watch out for highlights.

2 Likes

Thanks @OnWheelsAndWings

1 Like

Your welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.