My biggest video project so far; I'd love to hear your feedback!

I know I have a lot to learn, but I’m really proud of how far I’ve come with Shotcut in about a year! This video took me around 6 months from script to export, and about 3 months of that alone was editing. I try to use as much FOSS as possible to make my videos (LibreOffice, GIMP, Inkscape, HandBrake, and of course, Shotcut!). How did this come out for a beginner?

Two add-ons, one game: Night Trap for Sega CD 32X

4 Likes

Pretty well I’d say.

I liked the first part that explains the origins of this type of games and the rating system. It’s well documented and well delivered. That was pretty interesting. But I would have liked a presentation of the game itself before you started playing it. It took me a couple of minutes of watching (and a visit to Wikipedia) to kind of understand what the game was about.

The second part was a bit too long for me to watch, and I confess that I skipped ahead a couple of times.

The editing is quite good. I noticed a few inconsistencies here and there in the audio balance though.
For example, at 4:44 the screams of the Mortal Combat characters are way too loud and overwhelms your voice.

I also watched (and enjoyed) your “in the closet” video. Nice idea to build a voice studio in there.

1 Like

I really like the beginning of your video, engaging. Especially the background music, and the transition between clips. It seems like the video structure is the same for a long part of the middle though. If a person who lacks patience watches it, there may be no way to see the end of the video.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I agree with you; I ended up getting a little in over my head with this project. I think my main takeaway is I need to focus on shorter, tighter content for a while so I can work on polishing it more, like the inconsistencies and pacing issues you pointed out.

I’m glad you enjoyed the voice acting video!

Thanks for checking it out! I agree with you. I ended up with a lot more gameplay footage than I anticipated, and what’s in the video as it stands now is already significantly cut down from my first several passes at it. I’m sure that will come back to bite me in the analytics, but it’ll be a learning experience.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.