Multiple clips to one filter?

Hey everyone.

Shotcut has made continuous improvements since I first started using it in 2018. I’m not really a dev so this could be too much to ask, but I was wondering if there’s a way to apply the same instance of a filter/filter set to multiple clips.

There was another post that describes applying a filter to multiple clips in that are on the same track, but I’m taking about applying a filter to clips regardless of the track it’s on. As we work on more complex projects, the more tracks will be created. Right now I have 11 tracks with about 40 clips and growing. If we make an adjustment to one filter, then we’d have to make the same adjust the same filter in other filters…

Right now it seems like each clip is given their own unique instance of a filter, and if want to do the exact same filter with the exact same parameters to another clip, we would copy the filter to and then paste in in a new clip. And if we want to change a parameter to one clip, we have to update it all the other pasted filters.

If we can also assign the same filter/filter set to multiple clips, it would save us time when we we’re working with multiple clips that are supposed to have similar filters. Something similar to Blender’s material system: Each material can be assigned to multiple objects at once or no objects at all.

You can apply a filter to an entire track (or alternatively, to the entire output). So one option to achieve what you’re describing is to put all the clips on the same track, and add a filter to the track. All clips on the track will be affected, and you’ll only need to change the one track filter to change all clips.

1 Like

Yea there was another post that describes this, but I’m taking about applying a filter to clips regardless of the track it’s on. As we work on more complex projects, the more tracks will be created. Right now I have 11 tracks with about 40 clips and growing. If we make an adjustment to one filter, then we’d have to make the same adjust the same filter in other filters…

You can add filter to entire track
Sem título

Yup

I suppose some of these multiple clips are from the same source. One option is to open the whole clip in the source player either from playlist or not. Then, do the common filtering before editing to sub-clips. It still does not help you if you need to change something later, or you can’t plan that far ahead. But just thought I would mention it. You can extend this idea to nested XML clips to truly make the filters common, but that does have some disadvantages too.

1 Like

I’m curious about this concept, though I’m not a dev and I don’t know how to use nested XML clips in Shotcut.

1 Like

Oh cool, I didn’t know you could apply filters to tracks. I’ll start doing that. I’ve been applying to each clip, then I have to copy & paste (I do use the Sets feature, which is cool) to various clips. Some form of Filter Sets that can be edited to update every used instance in a project, like the OP is requesting, would be an interesting feature for complex projects. It could be very much like CSS or styles in Microsoft Word. Update the style, and it updates all used instances. Actually, being able to edit a saved Set by seeing the listed filters and changing their parameters would be pretty awesome come to think of it. Currently, if I want to change a set, I just copy and give it the same name as an existing set to override a previously saved one (it might be nice to confirm replacements, by the way).

If such a thing was implemented, it might be nice to have the option for a confirmation that lists the clips that will be affected if a style change is applied. Or the clips could be temporarily highlighted on the timeline so you could see which have certain styles applied, etc. Maybe enforce every style has a name assigned, and that name could be printed small in a box within the clip on the timeline, or it would show up when hovering over the clip, etc. A box that has the styles (or materials) icon could show on the clip if any styles are applied, and then you hover over this icon box for a selection box to see individual styles applied, and can enable/disable them, etc.

Good grief, you can nest xml to create projects? Just saw that bit. Crazy. Sounds complex and requiring a lot of planning.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.