MP4 video not loading into shotcut properly when another one can

I am using a Windows 10 Permium computer. Running off 4gbs of ram, and an Intel Core i5-quad core duo processor.

I am using the lastest version of shotcut and this problem has persisted through the last update as well

I am trying to edit a video for a game review, I record by game footage with a capture device on OBS that captures game footage from my actual consoles. They’re formatted into .mp4 files and I have a few videos. When I drag them into the playlist, all except for one is loaded properly. The one that’s not loaded in pops up a message saying to set duration of the video. I try clicking ok, then it brings up the concert to edit friendly windows, and I choose the default one the markers on. When I do this and click ok, shotcut starts buffering and I hear the audio of the video playing choppy. After this shotcut crashes.

This is really becoming a huge problem and I’m so close to switching to another editing software because this problem is getting out of hand. Please help.

At a guess you are running out of memory. I presume your videos are in HD. The minimum requirements are:

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 7 - 11, Apple macOS 10.14 - 12., or 64-bit Linux with at least glibc 2.27.

CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 4 cores for HD, and 8 cores for 4K.

GPU: OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers. We do not have a list.

RAM: At least 4 GB for SD, 8 GB for HD, and 16 GB for 4K.

With only 4GB your system is somewhat under-specced.

You could try rebooting your system and run Shotcut on its own without anything else running.

Well the footage i had recorded was actually 720p. Im recording older game footage. I dont think this would be the problem because i have two clips both recorded on the same device, and only one doesnt work

This happens because one of your files is not supporting seek and looks like a live stream (no deffined duration). While it still needs conversion, this file probably still has a usable duration. I agree we need to better handle this. In the meantime, since you know the game recording software generates sometimes unusable files, instead of bulk importing, drag them in one at a time to the Source player to check each first.

1 Like

This should be fixed for the next version. I have not found a clip in my library that replicates the situation. Can you share one?

This topic was automatically closed after 89 days. New replies are no longer allowed.