Moving Tracks Does Not Change The Hierarchy Of Tracks

Version 22.06.23 Windows 11

When a track is above another track, whatever is on the upper track will show as being on top of the lower track. With the ability to move tracks up and down the order, this should change so that if the upper track and the lower track switch positions what was covered before with the upper track will now be seen on top. The bug here is that this does not happen after moving tracks.

In this demo, I have a red box on V2 then create a new track above it and place a green copy of the same box on V3. Even after I move the V3 track with the green box below and the red box is bumped up, the green box is still visible when the playhead is on a point where the red box should be seen instead. I also demonstrate that the only way you can see the red box is when I disable V2 which is where the green box is at after the swap.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s a bug but a workaround is go to track properties and change the blend mode on both tracks (V2 & V3) from ‘Over’ to ‘None’. My understanding is every additional video track has the default of ‘Over’ as blend mode, with the original track V1 without a blend. Anyway, this corrects the issue you have highlighted.

2 Likes

:open_mouth: I’m surprised no one reported this bug before.

It’s also present in v22.06.07

It’s a workaround I agree, but only for those who will read this thread.
It doesn’t correct the issue for everyone else.

It is expected that whatever is on the top track should cover anything that is under it.
If V2 become V3 after moving it, in the preview it should automatically be on top as well.

3 Likes

Apologies. Maybe my use of the phrase “corrects your problem” was wrong. Yes it’s a bug and I too am surprised it wasn’t picked up earlier.

The workaround offered was simply that a workaround to make do until corrected. I agree not everyone would read the post.

3 Likes