Mlt file won’t open

I spent hours working on a school project on Shotcut, and saved it so I could continue working on it the next day. When I try to open the mlt file, the blue ring just turns and it says it isn’t responding. I tried putting the backup of the mlt into a text editor and deleting part of it but when I opened that in shotcut it showed a bunch of black lines on the viewer. Maybe I deleted the wrong thing? Someone else had a problem like this and I tried to do what they did. I’m very discouraged and I just want my project back. Please help!

Upload your project file before your manual edits and maybe someone can find a problem.

Update: I put the mlt file on a flash drive and opened it in shotcut on a laptop(I was using a super old desktop before). I had to finish and export the project in one sitting, because if I tried to save it, the same issue would occur, and I would have to reinstall the software. My advice—don’t spread a project out over multiple days if you’re going to use this program. It causes a lot of hassle and heartache.

If you are going to have a large project that has multiple sessions spread over a long time you should really save the project on a regular basis using different versions. That way if you have a problem you can always revert to the previous version or the one before that.

That’s what I was doing. It wouldn’t open the file unless I reinstalled the software, and it’s inconvienient to do that every time you want to save something to open later.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.