Melt consuming all memory, eventually killed by OS

What is your operating system?

FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
22.06.23_2

Melt version 7.14.0_3

Don’t think s it’s 32 bit.

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?

This happens every time for me. I have a have created a Shotcut project with around 20 clips of varying length and I’m removing the audio on all of them and replacing with a bunch of MP3s. When I export the project it slowly uses up more RAM until it uses everything and is killed by the OS.

I am not sure but I think each memory step happens when loading a new MP4 (I couldn’t figure out how to get melt to log when it was consuming each MP4.

I’m not sure what other information would help but I can easily recreate this if there is anything you’d like me to do to get more information.

Configuration: https://paste.sr.ht/~mmatalka/99509be989df7e9a4c29074d8bf153781616fcbd

This is a known problem with that version of MLT. This is not a valid combination of versions of Shotcut and MLT. We do not make this build so it is nothing we can fix. The correct version of MLT for this version of Shotcut is MLT - v7.8.0 released (see how the dates coincide).

Ok, great. Maybe I can improve things by updating the packages for FreeBSD.

Are Shotcut 23.05.14 and MLT v7.16.0 correct versions together?

Yes, but that combination requires Qt 6 including enabling the Qt 6 version of the MLT qt module (-DMOD_QT6=ON).

Thank you. I found the current port maintainer for shotcut and reached out to see if I can offer assistance. Hopefully we can get the latest version going on FreeBSD.

Small note: the README for shotcut in main still references Qt5. Not sure if bug in docs or not, ignore if not.