Markers like label track in Audacity

Yes in a bug report you can find here and fixed for next version.

ok, thanks to your help I am getting very close.

When I execute the following command line, I consistently get the messages below, but get the desired output file. Running a bunch of these in a single batch file (changing the in and out and the target only) seems to hang after processing a few files.

What should I do to avoid the error messages, or are they not really an issue?

C:\Projects\CSDP\TrainingVideo>“C:\Program Files\Shotcut\melt” “C:\Projects\CSDP\TrainingVideo\tv1\tv1working4.mlt” in=85359 out=91415 -consumer avformat:“C:\Projects\CSDP\TrainingVideo\Exports3\RoleOfCurrentRoundOfProjects2.mp4” vcodec=“libx264” preset=“fast” channels=“2” mlt_service=“avformat” f=“mp4” threads=“0”
±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+
|1=-10| |2= -5| |3= -2| |4= -1| |5= 0| |6= 1| |7= 2| |8= 5| |9= 10|
±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+ ±----+
±--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| H = back 1 minute, L = forward 1 minute |
| h = previous frame, l = next frame |
| g = start of clip, j = next clip, k = previous clip |
| 0 = restart, q = quit, space = play |
±--------------------------------------------------------------------+
[mp4 @ 000002a6c8ae2800] Timestamps are unset in a packet for stream 1. This is deprecated and will stop working in the future. Fix your code to set the timestamps properly
[mp4 @ 000002a6c8ae2800] Encoder did not produce proper pts, making some up.
[mp4 @ 000002a6c8ae2800] Application provided invalid, non monotonically increasing dts to muxer in stream 1: 11628544 >= 11628544

Learn, try, experiment please

Thank you. I absolutely understand the culture of forums, I only turn to the forum when I can’t find an answer online or in documentation, and I only ask a question after exploration. I am not trying to get anybody to do my homework for me. Your quick hint in a previous response was very helpful to me and I spent a good deal of time researching and experimenting with the command line options once you sent me in a direction with that hint.

I have tried a number of different options, everything I tried gave the same error. The messages are not clear to me, I don’t think they come directly from melt.

In any case, I will proceed as you suggest, so thank you for your prior help and the excellent Shotcut program.

They are probably not a problem. As an experiment, you can make a similar export in Shotcut and then right click the export job to see the log. You might see the same messages. As long as the operation creates an output file and the file works for you then the messages are not a problem.

Docs are here
https://mltframework.org/docs/

There are command line options to reduce messages including -silent and the recently added -quiet show in melt -h usage output.

Thank you, I appreciate your suggestion. I checked the export log, the same error appears,

This was very helpful. Thanks to you and Brian, the batch file using melt ran to completion, slicing up the original 3.5 hour video into 48 labeled mp4s. I very much appreciate the assistance you have provided.

To recap for those who might be interested:

1. I developed a Python script to read the start and end times (hh:mm:ss:frame count) for the clips of the source videos and create a text file of xml for markers in the mlt format
  2. I then manually pasted that xml into the appropriate section of the mlt file for the project
  3. This generated appropriately labeled markers at each in/out point
  4. I attempted to individually export the markers from the UI, but this required re-entering the names and also encountered the ‘off by one’ issue that will be fixed in the next release.
  5. Based on suggestions here, I developed a batch file for each clip using melt. This required converting the start and end times to in and out points (measured in frames), I did that in Excel.
  6. Here is an example of a couple of lines from the final batch file that runs to completion:

“C:\Program Files\Shotcut\melt” “C:\Projects\CSDP\TrainingVideo\tv1\tv1working4.mlt” -quiet in=0 out=7164 -consumer avformat:“C:\Projects\CSDP\TrainingVideo\Exports5\Intro.mp4” vcodec=“libx264” preset=“fast” rescale=“bilinear” g=“125” bf=“3” ab=“384k” acodec=“aac” channels=“2” mlt_service=“avformat” ar=“48000” top_field_first=“2” deinterlace_method=“yadif” movflags="+faststart" real_time="-1" crf=“23” f=“mp4” threads=“0”

“C:\Program Files\Shotcut\melt” “C:\Projects\CSDP\TrainingVideo\tv1\tv1working4.mlt” -quiet in=18775 out=24609 -consumer avformat:“C:\Projects\CSDP\TrainingVideo\Exports5\BackgroundAndVision.mp4” vcodec=“libx264” preset=“fast” rescale=“bilinear” g=“125” bf=“3” ab=“384k” acodec=“aac” channels=“2” mlt_service=“avformat” ar=“48000” top_field_first=“2” deinterlace_method=“yadif” movflags="+faststart" real_time="-1" crf=“23” f=“mp4” threads=“0”

1. I do feel that a batch export of marker clips that preserves the marker name in the exported file name wouldt be a useful enhancement for the future.

Would the two suggestions I made in my thread for markers overlap with your suggestion here?

Yes, that would exactly do it, states it better, I should have referenced that.

I should also have noted above that in the procedure I used in the end, markers are not needed, basically you go from the Excel timing file to the melt batch file after converting timestamps to frames, but it is still nice to have the markers in Shotcut for general navigation.