Lowering soundtrack for 30 seconds

Hello. I am using Shotcut for the first time and think it’s great. One question I’m stumped on is lowering the soundtrack then back up again. I have a slideshow with a song playing underneath. Almost all jpg still shots. But towards the end I put in about a 30 second video clip. I would like the music to drop in volume for those 30 seconds then go back up again. I have been assuming that it would require putting a split on either side of the 30 seconds then going to a volume setting but I just can’t figure it out. HELP.

Add the “Gain/Volume” filter and keyframe the level.

There is an example here:

Also demonstrated in this video:

It’s done by adding the ‘Gain/Volume’ Filter to the track, then adding Keyframes for the areas you want to adjust the volume around. You slide the Keyframes up and down to adjust the volutme.

Thank you very much for your help in this. Can I use this key frames method JUST on the soundtrack? Not the audio on the video track. I have an all photo slideshow but right in the middle for 30 seconds, there is a video clip of someone talking. What I’m trying to do ideally is for that 30 seconds, drop the music soundtrack to about 25% I’d LOVE to actually bump up the volume of the video clip a bit. But lowering the music under the video is most important. Thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have.

I suppose your slideshow & video clip are on a video track (say V1) and the soundtrack is on a separate audio track (A1) in the timeline

You can apply the volume filter to the audio clip only

• Select the audio clip
  • Go to the filters panel and choose the Gain/Volume filter in the Audio category
  • Move the playhead at the position where you want to lower the volume
  • Click on the Keyframes icon in the filter’s settings to enable keyframes.
    shotcut_4zvVkg106S Disabled
    eDiuTVz7pj Enabled
  • Move the playhead ahead a few frames
  • Lower the level setting to around -18 db
  • Move the playhead to the position where you want to raise the volume
  • In the Keyframes panel, click on the Add a keyframe at play head button. That keyframe will be a copy of the previous one, set at -18 db.
  • Move the playhead ahead a few frames
  • In the filters settings, bring the level back to 0.
1 Like

Oh Man. That’s awesome. Thank you very much. That’s exactly what I want to do. I will follow along to the video. Thank you again.

You’re welcome.
Let us know if it worked.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.