Lost audio output after using HDMI on pop_os

I’m running pop_os on a System76 Adder WS, which has an HDMI output port, which works only when the NVidia graphics engine is enabled. I needed to route app output to HDMI for a task, then switched back to using the built-in audio to the headphone jack. On pop_os, the default is to run Pulse Audio on top of ALSA. I’ve got Jack installed, but I don’t normally use it.

My problem is that after my stint with directing system and app playback audio out the HDMI device, I had to switch audio output for various devices back to the built in headphone audio, and this worked for all devices except for Shotcut. I used the sound settings panel, I used pavucontrol command, and I searched high/low for audio out control within Shotcut, and I still can’t hear the audio while editing even though the meters and bouncing and I can see the waveform. I even went so far as to install the latest shotcut and I still can’t hear.

Are there system wide configuration files or per-user configuration where shotcut keeps audio output device selection? Any other idea what’s wrong?

Answering my own question here, I finally found the tiny mic mute icon, and even after unmuting, I had to push up the out level control. So it was both muted and set to zero level. I’m running high res graphics so the icons are tiny.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.