Hi all - I’m a piano teacher. Most of my pupils hate learning their scales. So I came up with these 4 instructional videos to encourage them to practice.
Made 99% with Shotcut (see below* why it wasn’t quite100%)…
I created the backing tracks in Cubase, and the graphics in Serif’s PagePlus. Took a long time!!
To create the moving red and blue bars on the piano keys, I created HTML files using @elusien’s webvfx framework to enable the animation, and applied them in Shotcut via the Text:HTML filter.
Getting the speed of the moving red and blue bars was tricky - I had to make MP4 exports of every scale at all 10 speeds - so that’s 240 exported MP4s (over the 4 videos)!
Then I assembled the audio clips and video clips in Shotcut, carefully syncing them, and creating custom transitions. I used AutoHotKey to automate some of the tedious operations.
I also made use of @elusien’s “Textflow” text effect for the “Speed xx” mini-intros (for example at 0:59 in Video 1). I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Elusien his great work with webfx and HTML!!
*I would have loved to have made this entirely with Shotcut, but I encountered an “audio sync” problem which meant that although the audio and video looked perfectly synced in the preview pane, on export the audio was not synced. This problem was discussed in the thread HERE but I have not had time to post a proper bug report as yet.
I tried the workaround of advancing the audio track by 6 frames which nearly solved it, but found that after about 10 minutes into the video the sync problem re-occurred.
In the end I had to import the exported videos from SC and the audio tracks (separately) into Movie Edit Pro, and export from there, to get perfect synchronisation.