Keyframes tracking?

First of all i wanna say how grateful i am not only to have shotcut, but being apart of this amazing community and learning so much from it!

Does anyone in here know how to make a image stand still in a certain place in a video? I failed using keyframes in the attached example

Just to be sure, is this the image you want to be still according to the background?

If it is, well in this particular situation, it will be time consuming to keyframe this image to make it look like it’s part the moving scenery. Shotcut doesn’t have an automatic tracking feature. You’ll practically need to manually add a keyframe at each frame of the clip. Or at least each 2 or 3 frames.

Start on the first frame, align one recognizable point of the image with a recognizable point of the background. And on each keyframe, make sure you keep these point aligned. Also… I’m not sure, but I suspect your keyframe mode is set to Smooth? Maybe it would be best in this case to use the Linear setting. Try a few frames with each setting to see which one looks better.

EDIT
The other option you have if you need to track a long clip is to use an externat app.
Here’s the method I use:

• I export as an image sequence the part of the project that requires motion tracking. This is important, because Natron and Blender prefer to work with images instead of videos.
  • I import the sequence in Natron (Blender also works) and use the motion tracking tool on the image I want to overlay.
  • From Natron, I export the result as another image sequence.
  • I import the sequence in Shotcut.

There are tutorial on YouTube showing how to export/import an image sequence from/in Shotcut.
There are also tutorials on how to use motion tracking in Natron and Blender.

2 Likes

Musical Box is correct that key framing is going to be tedious here. A little trick I have found doing soccer highlights with size and position is to set your first and last key frames and then make your next key frame half of that then divide the two new gaps in half with additional key frames. Stop frequently to scrub your work and see if it is close enough. Using this method you will make the minimum number of key frames needed to get It close enough.

2 Likes

@reachingnexus I do use the method you describe when accuracy is not crucial. In your example, it is perfect to highlight and follow a player. Minor errors won’t be much visible. But in this particular case, I think that in the end, a keyframe every 1, 2 or 3 frames will still be needed, whatever the method used.

The object needs to look like it’s part of the scenery. Keyframes errors of even a few pixels will ruin the effect. In fact, it will look like what we see in @Jack_Elo’s video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.