Keyframes based on factors such as audio level or overall brightness

I can confirm that. I was just about to post about it in fact because applying the filter when the clip is on the timeline just turns the screen black.

By the way, @brian, with initial testing of this filter I am wondering if a Shake filter could also be created? One that also has parameters to control but isn’t based on any audio kind of like the current Old Film filters? It seems to me that the components are there to create one.

Also the music clip needs artwork for it to work. It’s not like the ASV or AWS filters which work without pictures.

Isn’t it meant to work with only a video clip though? I believe the intended effect is the video shaking and moving based on the audio.

That’s what the filter is for. I’m just noting my observations.

I think you need to participate in the test as well. Need as much input as we can get for this one.:grin:

I think so too. That’s why I started over an hour ago before my first post in this thread. :grin:

Playing around with it some more and I am thinking that Threshold should be placed first on the list of controls since it essentially determines how much movement there will be and if there will be any movement at all.

Works for me if I place it on track V2, on V1 I agree it does not work.
Drag the clip into the viewer/player, apply the filter.
Copy the filter.
Drag the clip to track V2, paste the filter.

Tried your procedure exactly. It doesn’t work for me.
Running SC 19.03.31. Maybe that’s the issue.
Interesting that so many are testing this filter.:slight_smile:

24%20PM

I’m sure it has quite a few uses, although what I have in mind is for a music video.
Blurred background on V1 full sized, then the “Dance Filter” on V2 which zooms from 88% to 100% on drum beats.
Wouldn’t use it for more then a few seconds, but for a drum solo it creates a nice effect with the video zooming every time the drummer whacks the drums.

So you’re applying the filter to the clip twice? Once when it’s first in the source player and the second time when it’s on V2? I have tried a number a ways and couldn’t get it to work. It only works on the source player. I’m using 19.02.28.

Hey, it’s a new filter. The more the merrier. :smiley:

Below a very “quick and dirty” example using the dance filter triggering on the highest peaks of the bass line.
(Remove the fake .zip extension)

DanceFilterTest2.mp4.zip (2.0 MB)

How I used the filter on V2, V1 only has a blur filter applied.

Okay. So you added the video to the timeline twice. I did that and now it works.

And that’s a good video demo you made there on applying the filter.

That’s very odd. I put the video with the dance fitter on V3 and a color clip on V2 and the filter works. Working sort of like the mask filter.

Brilliant workaround @Paul2 .

I think its a very useful filter for people want to create music videos with the particular effect that can be achieved with this filter.

The threshold parameters default of -60 DB is way too high. A default of -20 DB would work.better. The zoom level of 50% is also a bit high, a default level of 5 to 10% would be better.

This is an interesting filter. It seems to adapt to different kinds of music. I tried it with 4 different music clips, using a preset I made, each clip had a different motion.

I played around with all the parameters. I think they all need to be kept. Maybe all the parameters could be key framed. I’m not well versed in the nuances of the low and high frequency settings, but a user that can set different frequency during the video settings could create a very good result. I’ll continue playing with the parameters.

The demo I made with conventional filters could have been made in 1/3 the time it took me.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

That is a bug in the underlying MLT framework. I can fix it easy enough. And the work-arounds mentioned give me a good idea of what the problem is already.

Should be possible. It would require a new module to be added to the underlying MLT framework. But I agree - there should be opportunities for code reuse.

Hmmm. Yeah. This kind of limits the usefulness, don’t you think? The “workaround” would be:

1. Create a Shotcut project that creates a sequence of images, videos or whatever else you want on track 1
  2. Add your audio file to track 2
  3. Save the Shotcut project as “Audio.mlt”
  4. Create ANOTHER Shotcut project
  5. Open “Audio.mlt” in Shotcut as a clip and add it to a track
  6. Apply the dance filter to that track. Now the track will have the images responding to the audio.
  7. Add other effects and images to other tracks
  8. Save this project as “AudioVideo.mlt”

It is not ideal, but I think it would fill most use cases. Can anyone think of a good way to present that concept to the users?

Good idea. I’ll move it to the top.

Great comment. I’ll try to tone it down.

Should be possible. But that would be a pretty big change to the underlying MLT framework module. I’ll keep it in mind as a “phase 2” enhancement.

I think the frequency controls need some work because they should interact with each other. But they can’t overlap. It made it easy for this demo by making the low stop at 1000 and the high start at 1000. But that doesn’t allow the user to specify a range of 20Hz-150Hz (for example). So I think they both need to be full range with some kind of interaction so that the “high” can’t be set lower than the “low” frequency.

What about the clockwise/counterclockwise controls. Do they need to go all the way to 360? Or would 90 or 45 be a more logical limit?

If anyone has any further suggestions on defaults and limits, I would be interested to hear.

Good to hear. :slight_smile:

I think it would be better to rename the filter to something that isn’t similar to Audio Spectrum Visualization or Audio Waveform Visualization. Those can work with audio only but this one cannot so a similar name would give the impression it would work similarly. If you could plan to have a proper Shake filter then I think that this filter could be renamed as a derivative of the regular Shake filter kind of like how the Old Film filters have several derivatives listed. That way it would be made clear that this filter is meant to work with a video clip.

Cool. I notice that Threshold is also listed last in Audio Spectrum Visualization or Audio Waveform Visualization.

I say keep it at 360. :slight_smile:

Definitely wait to see if @jonray has anything to add since he has a music background.

And hopefully @scellycraftyt shows up here again since it was him who brought the topic up in the first place.

Actually that’s exactly what I did and it wasn’t that difficult. The entire project from start to finish took about an hour and a half. Half that tme was spent trying to find the best settings for the filter and exporting 20 second segments to check the results.

I agree. At the extreme limits the picture can cartwheel.:grin:

Done with the dance filter and AWV on 3 tracks.

https://streamable.com/y4ic0

Dance filter

Hi folks, sorry, this thread passed me by, until now. I’ll get on board when time allows, and do some testing. Looks just up my street :grinning::grinning::+1:

(Although me having a music background may not mean I can add anything particularly useful …) :smile::smile:

I’ll do my best…

These demo videos are excellent.

Better late than never.

You always have something useful.