Just updated, now Shotcut is unusable - constantly unresponsive

If I click ANYWHERE, it spins for minutes. If I move ANYTHING, it spins for minutes. If I import, save, clip, or literally do anything, it goes unresponsive for minutes. I have checked my RAM and all specs (more than needed), updated to the latest version, restarted my computer, done virus checks, literally everything told to do in FAQs - Shotcut is persistently unresponsive.

HELP!!

Like this? (watch his videos)

Do you know how to download and use an older version?

1 Like

I’m so desperate at this point that I’m willing to do anything! Thanks.

OK, downloaded the Sept. version mentioned in the post you referenced. Got this (see attached)

1 Like

You cannot reinstall or upgrade when Shotcut is running (or hung in the background). That might be the source of your original problem: running more than one instance of Shotcut does not work good. Please reboot and reinstall Shotcut and then try it.

Weird, I did shut it all down and even uninstalled it, but it showed back up! OK, full reboot and reinstall of Sept. version later, it’s working like a charm! Thank you so much!!

Will you be giving an all clear when this is fixed in next updates?

Thanks again, I was ripping my hair out!

I still do not know if you really have the same problem. For all I know you had a bad upgrade or were running multiple Shotcuts. None of the developers reproduce the linked problem. So, there is no solution yet.

In the future, you can download the portable version, and extract it into its own new folder and test it first. In fact you can do that now with the latest version to see if you still reproduce the same problem as the other guy. Just make sure you are not running another Shotcut when you do that test.

Would you recommend fully uninstalling the current before upgrading to the newer in the future?

1 Like

If you use the portable version, extract it into its own folder or rename the Shotcut folder it creates to contain the version number. Double-click shotcut.exe to run it.

Would you recommend fully uninstalling the current before upgrading to the newer in the future?

It is not absolutely necessary. The installer has an option on its screen of check boxes to remove the old files, which defaults to on. However, if something has the files locked like a running or hidden instance of shotcut.exe or melt.exe (the background export runner), it will prevent a clean upgrade. Windows is very aggressive about locking files compared to other operating systems. Basically, if the installer gives you an error during an upgrade, use Windows Task Manager > Details to see if there are any shotcut.exe or melt.exe running by sorting the list by name

If there are, kill them. Then, restart the installer.

1 Like

I just updated from version 19.1.24 (very old, I know) to the latest one, and had the same problem, a very sluggish UI.
Tested reinstalling, uninstalling, using different versions, and was only able to get it to work as expected once I went to 20.9.27
As this is the last version before the upgrade to QT5, I guess that the cause if QT5 + some hardware.

I run a Intel® Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Driver from 31/12/2020)
Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit (Build 19042), DirectX 12.0
Let me know if you need more detailed info, and I’ll be happy to provide it

What! i5 has the same GHz as my first CPU (Bought in 2014 (Windows 7)) Intel® Core™ i3-3220T CPU @ 2.80GHz than what is good of buying new computers. Intel is making us confused whether to buy a new chip or stay with old :thinking:

But I have a more powerful CPU now Intel® Core™ i9-10900X CPU @ 3.70GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti and 32GB Ram possible with my hard work.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.