Jump forward/backward by user controlled number of frames

I would love the ability to be able to jump forward or back by a number of frames which I can control. (In the image I have the suggested jump control set to 10 frames.)

Use case: I do all my transitions manually, usually with a consistent opacity video fadein/fadeout length, and it would be extremely useful to be able to jump to where the transition ends to position the underlying new clip.

I know there are Keyboard Shortcuts, but these are clunky to use and are fixed in length. I know you can type in a new frame number in the existing time box, but I believe workflow would be much easier with this suggestion.

1 Like

@Namna has made a custom extension that does this. It can be found here:

1 Like

Faites attention, le fichier modifié date de 2020, il y a eu depuis des modifications avec les nouvelles versions de SC.
Je ne sais pas si c’est toujours compatible et je ne peux pas le vérifier, j’utilise toujours la V20.09.27 (dernière version compatible avec mon matériel).
Faites bien une copie du fichier original afin de pouvoir revenir en arrière.

Be careful, the modified file is from 2020, there have been changes since with the new versions of SC.
I don’t know if it’s still compatible and I can’t verify it, I’m still using V20.09.27 (last version compatible with my hardware).
Be sure to make a copy of the original file so you can go back.

Modifying the installed Shotcut files is within your rights under the GPL license, but it is not supported and it will introduce bugs. The linked modification will overwrite and lose changes that have made over the past year to work with the major new version of the GUI library we use. Now, ask yourself if that is a good idea.

2 Likes

I did add your Playhead Skip mod to v21.09.20 a couple of days ago and it works fine.
abNUZNohir

However I used an updated version of the mod, not the one available in the post shared above by Austin. That one is not tested in latest versions of Shotcut. So use it at your own risks

2 Likes

Correct, there was no implication that the old version would work as-is with newer versions. “Custom extension” means some assembly required, use at your own risk. I was simply raising awareness to the OP that the feature has been discussed before and that a custom solution existed. I linked to the old thread because that’s where all the discussion about it happened.

2 Likes