Is there any way to create the ultra instinct effect?

Video for reference. I was hoping to recreate the motion effect like the one where Goku (the man being punched first) avoids the punch. Is it possible in shotcut?

No, Shotcut is a video editor, not an animation creator or [after] affects processor.

This looks to me like it could be done with an Opacity filter, some Size&Position keyframes, and a greenscreened clip of the protagonist. If you have the right source file, I don’t see why you couldn’t do this with Shotcut.

Do you have a project you want to add the “ultra instinct” effect to? Are you shooting film or making an animation?

Hi @Xurat0

I had similar thoughts to @john_solo so I had a little play around this afternoon. The glowing effects are not something Shotcut can add itself, but the movement effect is doable using Size&Position and Opacity filters spread across several tracks. If you have the right source file (animation or video) you can achieve something similar. I used a still image in the test I did, but with something already animated you could do something very close to what you showed us. The total count was 11 tracks of video, but only 6 of those were needed for the “instinct” style effect itself.
Apart from the start & end position, each step was 15 frames long faded in from 0% to 100% opacity and back in the first and last 5 frames. Each step is 50 pixels laterally spaced and is moved 50 pixels to match the position of the next step in the final 5 frames. The steps are offset from each other by 5 frames apiece. Finally each step was duplicated and repeated immediately after it is first shown, but the maximum opacity is reduced to 50% giving the delayed visual echo effect.
The effect could be speeded up or smoothed by using shorter steps, say 12 or 9 frames in length and increasing the number of tracks used for more “echoes” plus you could of course introduce distortion or rotation of the image/footage to give a further impression of dynamic movement and blurring might also enhance the effect (which I believe will be key-frame ready soon).
Forgive the rest of the sample, beyond the effect test, it just amused me to put it into some kind of (silly) context.

3 Likes

That’s got to be the best proof-of-concept video I’ve ever seen!

1 Like

Much appreciated.

1 Like

Couldn’t manage to replicate your brilliant video.

Just did this to experiment with a green screen clip, chroma key filter and the size and position filter.

Tried to duplicate the “instinct” style motion.

Bravo, man. I tinkered with the opacity filters, and I got exactly what I wanted.

1 Like