Is there a way of applying easing to moving images?

Hi folks,

Today I’m working on a new project with 18.08.01 (just downloaded it this morning). It’s a video presentation on the life of composer VIVALDI. It’s unfinished, but I’m sharing it below. My question is - I’d like the sliding images (produced by size and position keyframes) to move in a more classy way - ie starting off slowly, then moving in a linear speed, then slowing down before coming to rest.

In HTML you can apply “easing” to an animation (ease-in, ease-out, or ease-in-out), or even apply movement according to a bezier curve formula. In Webvfx you can specify “easeInOut Sine” or many other easing parameters.

Anyone know if this is possible in shotcut at the moment or whether it is possible to add in the future, or planned?
Many thanks.

PS v.18.08.01 seems to be working fine for me.

Here’s my VIVALDI video (unfinished):

https://streamable.com/c53nr

Thanks, Jon

You can only emulate easing using smooth keyframes (part of advanced keyframes) and multiple keyframes.

When you right click on an event marker in advanced keyframes you get the choice of setting the transition between linear (default), smooth and discrete. I’ve been fiddling with it myself this afternoon since I’ve been using 18.06 until today because of the preview sound glitch in 18.07.

I’ve uploaded my own experiment to compare the difference between linear and smooth transitions on size & position filters and it makes quite a surprising difference :smiley:
A user definable curve system would be very nice, which would give the sort of fine control needed for ease-in/out but for now, this is pretty darned good.

3 Likes

Excellent! Thanks QDSOV and Dan. Impressive demo, QDSOV. Can’t wait to experiment with smooth keyframes!! I really appreciate your reply.
Regards,
Jon

Impressive? I was just mucking about tbh but thanks for the compliment :smiley: I thought I’d try a bit of 80’s Quantel style picture whizzing for a laugh but it actually turned out to be a really useful exercise to help me understand what can be done with the different keyframe transition styles. Glad it did the same for you.

Certainly did! I’m intrigued as to what you mean by “Quantel style” though - I googled it to no avail (although I’m old enough to remember the 80’s!). To me, parts of your video reminded me of the video game “Breakout”:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMUv8KvVt08

1 Like

Quantel was the Adobe Creative Suite of it’s day I suppose. It was a picture and video editing & compositing system which was the big name for pro-level flashy video effects and image processing in the 80’s & 90’s - running on (expensive) custom built hardware until it’s later editions. It was largely responsible for the popularity of picture in picture trend, picture wrapping and many of the transition effects we take for granted today. It started to be rivalled in the 90’s by the Video Toaster (which was based on an add-on card for a Commodore Amiga and was far more accessible and cost effective - if you want to see the Video Toaster in action, watch Babylon 5 - the first network show to use entirely CGI visual effects and even pioneered composited virtual CGI sets).
MTV and the BBC in particular made immense use of Quantel. Shows in the UK which used it heavily include The Kenny Everett Television Show, Top of the Pops, quiz show Telly Addicts and of course anything sport related, not to mention thousands of pop videos from the New Romantic era onwards and pretty much every title/credits sequence of that era.
The flying picture (or video) effect I tried out yesterday was heavily over-used in the 80s & 90’s and always makes me think of a behind-the-scenes documentary I watched in the late 80’s showcasing the (then) amazing things Quantel could achieve.

And yeah - you’re right. Breakout, Pong, Arkanoid - definitely reminiscent of those :smiley:

Fantastic - thanks for the info! I wasn’t into video graphics then so it all passed me by - but it’s great to learn about it.

Ah, yes, I remember these shows, and can visualise the over-used graphics!