Is it possible to make the audio waveform less taxing in Shotcut?

I’ve been using Shotcut for about a half a year and despite me having a pretty fast computer (64.0 GB of RAM) it would run slow regardless. It wasn’t until I decided to deactivate the audio waveform that Shotcut began to actually run the way I expected it to. It’s far more speedy than it ever was and it was the one thing that made the biggest difference. I attempted before to use proxy files but they didn’t make anywhere near the kind of difference that it did when I simply deactivated the audio waveform.

When I have the audio waveform activated it would slow down the workflow considerably. I understand there being a slowdown when the audio waveform is first activated because Shotcut needs to build it but after that I don’t expect it to keep slowing down Shotcut so much as it does. This is especially the case when I zoomed in and out of the clips on the Timeline. Not having the audio waveforms on sped up Shotcut so much that I don’t even have to use the proxy files I created.

Is there anyway to have it so that the audio waveforms are not so taxing on Shotcut? I would like to know if this is possible because it would be nice to see the audio waveform on the timeline as it can be useful but if it makes such a difference in speed I’d rather have it off.

What are the rest of your computer specifications? Which Operating System are you running?

I’m running i7-7700k with just 32gb of memory, water cooled CPU AIO, and I don’t experience any lag from audio waveforms. EUFI patched for Spectre/Meltdown in early spring, and running Windows 10 Home (1803), Build 17134

Shotcut version 18.08.14 is the latest version as of typing this.
Make sure you only have one instance of Shotcut running in Task Manager.

Delays building the waveforum can come from the codecs at play as well, some aren’t as fast to decode.

I am using the latest Shotcut build from the 14th of last month. I only use one instance of Shotcut. I don’t open it more than once at a time. I also have the GPU Effects off.

Here are my computer specs:

Operating System: Windows 10

Processor: Intl® Core™ i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 64.0 GB
Available Physical Memory (RAM): 49 GB