Is it possible to adjust the play speed of multiple clips on a timeline at once?

I know I can change the playback speed of a single clip in its properties tab, but I have 50+ sequential clips on a timeline that I want to experiment with different playback speeds for and I don’t want to have to adjust each clip multiple times. Is there any sort of track-wide filter or property I can adjust for this? Multiple selection seems to only edit the properties of the first clip in the selection, and the merge clip operation is always disabled, so I can’t just merge all the clips on that track and apply the property change once.

It looks like adjusting the play speed adds a properties line to the mlt xml project file like this:

<property name="warp_speed">5</property>
<property name="warp_resource">filepath.mp4</property>

All of the clips on the timeline I want to speed up come from a dedicated folder.Do I really have to a bulk regex find/replace and reload the project to do what I need? In case that’s actually the answer and someone else is googling:

Find:

("resource">)([^<]+/speed these up/[^<]+)(</property>\n)

Replace:

$0\t<property name="warp_speed">5</property>\n\t
<property name="warp_resource">$2</property>\n

Looks like there might be a few other lines that are needed too:

<property name="mlt_service">timewarp</property>
<property name="shotcut:producer">avformat</property>
<property name="video_delay">0</property>

Thanks.

You would also want to recalculate the length and out time of each clip if you went the regex route.

I would suggest to pre-render the 50 clips into one single intermediate clip. Then, you can import the intermediate clip into your project and only need to change the speed once.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.