Interpretation of Anamorphic 1.33:1 (4:3)

I have an anamorphic recording and wanted to ask how to achieve the following settings:
1.33:1 (4:3) / 1920x1440
I have tried “Aspectratio” under “videomode”, but couldn’t figure it out - the image allways looks wrong.
In premiere cc the function/setting I’m searching for would be under “Modify Clip” -> “interpret footage” -> “pixel Aspect Ratio” -> "confirm to: “HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333)”.
Thanks in advance!

You can create your own Framesize and Fps:
Go to ‘Settings’>‘Video Mode’>‘Custom’>‘Add’.
Another window opens and under ‘Resulution’ you write your desired size.
‘Aspect ratio’ your 4:3 or 1920:1440.
And of course the very important Fps-rate thats equal to your recording-sources.

Anamorphic means non-square pixels or width/height != aspectratio. However, the numbers you supply are not anamorphic. I did a google search on “premiere HD Anamorphic 1080” and found:

Based on the description

Footage has a 1440x1080 or 960x720 frame size, and the desired result is a 16:9 frame aspect ratio.

This tells us you need to create custom video mode with resolution = 1440 x 1080 and aspect ratio = 16 : 9. If you did that, and it looks wrong, then upload a screenshot that shows the image in the player and also shows the Properties panel.

My anamorphic lens has a factor of 1.33x. If I convert this to the aspect ration I would get 16x1.33 = 21.28 which means my desired aspect ratio is 21.28 : 9. Actually this works quite well except that I can only choose 21 : 9 or 22 : 9, because when entering the aspect ratio only integers are possible, the image remains a bit distorted, which is suboptimal.

Therefore my question or feature request: Is it possible to enter the aspect ratio with two decimal points?

Thx in advanced!

I’m very confused. Is your source footage 1920x1440? Traditionally, anamorphic lenses with a 1.33x squeeze factor are for 16:9 sensors, and squeeze factors of 1.8x-2.0x are for 4:3 sensors. A 1.33x lens recorded in 4:3 is a mismatch, or it has letterboxing that effectively makes it 16:9.

For sake of example…

If your lens is 1.33x and is being recorded as 1920x1080, then applying the squeeze factor means “1080 / 1.33 = New Height” which results in 1920x810. However, the scope standard is 1920x816 (a 2.35:1 aspect ratio), so let’s go with that.

In Shotcut, create a custom video mode that is 1920x816 with an aspect ratio of 120:51. Decimals are not necessary… just start with the actual resolution and divide both parts by 2 until they are no longer integers, and use those last numbers. Those are the official aspect ratios anyway. “21:9” is a marketing term for a wide range of resolutions, and is not an actual mathematically-precise aspect ratio.

With the custom video mode in place, there will need to be a filter that stretches the video to fill the screen, but it sounds like you’ve got that part covered already.

Thanks for the input, I finally made it!
I have this lense in combination with my iPhone 11 pro in use: https://www.shopmoment.com/shop/anamorphic-lens and record with either Full HD or 4K. I have to " straighten out " the captured material to get the actual resolution by a factor of 1.33x.

Solution:
(1) Create a custom video mode that is 1920x816
(2) Use the “Size and Position” filter with the following settings:

• Position: 0.0
  • Size: 1920x816
  • Size mode: Disort

Labels - Keywords:
Moment Anamorphic Lens, Smartphone Anamorphic Lens; Anamorphic 1.33x

Thx a Lot!

Or correct the aspect ratio of the source in Properties.

That works too, but it is tedious if there are lots of separate clips. It is easier to put a filter on the trackhead so it automatically applies to all new clips.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.