Initial Configuration for 50+ track project

Hello! I’m editing a 3 minute video of an orchestra that’s been shot on 50 individual phones. For about 1 minutes, I need to have all 50 clips on the output screen at the same time. I’ve just installed a ryzen 5, 32GB of memory, and I’m working from an ssd. When I play back the work in progress, it’s very choppy, down to maybe 1 frame a second, yet the cpu is at maybe 10% and there’s buckets of RAM available. Are there any configurations that I can tweak to improve things? I’m running linux mint 19.3
Thankyou for any help you can give, and many thanks and BRAVO to the programmers…I’m really enjoying being able to do all of this stuff…

You potentially have 50 different video files with all different frame rates, and variable frame rates. By default Shotcut is in Automatic video mode, and the first file you import determines your video mode for that entire project. Other files with other video modes can cause seeking issues.

Shotcut attempts to notify you to convert files to Edit-friendly. This creates a new video of the original video file.
shotcut_2020-05-09_10-15-37

Click on any clip, the click Properties. This will show you the frame rate, and if variable, Shotcut will show “variable” next to the frame rate value. You can still convert this file over to Edit-friendly from here by clicking on Covert.
2020-05-09_10-23-03
shotcut_2020-05-09_10-25-27
shotcut_2020-05-09_10-26-51

To check your current video mode, click on Master (in the timeline) then Properties.

Dear Hudson555x,
Thanks for your reply…It’s great to know that people who can help are out there!
I had already discovered the dangers of variable frame rate video from smart phones, in fact trying to edit more than two tracks at a time caused Shotcut to crash. As a result, I’ve been converting all of the video clips into UT Video / PCM MKV. I have no idea if that was the best thing to do…If I export the project as stock H.264, would it be better to encode each track with that before I edit?
I have no idea what the differences between the codecs is.

You’re on the right track. Ut Video is lossless, meaning it’s a perfect representation of the original smartphone file. Had it been converted to H.264, video details would have been lost since H.264’s priority is keeping file size to a minimum, and then a final export using those H.264 middle-men would have lost even more details if it is H.264 as well.

If you have the hard drive space to handle Ut Video, then more power to you and keep going like that. If hard drive space gets tight, the middle option (DNxHR HQ) would suit your needs as well, but with less disk space. It does lose a few details, but only the ones your eyes can’t detect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.