Incompatible CPU effects on Shotcut

Good morning,
I have a problem after enabling GPU effects on Shotcut, my old file. mlt, do not want to open and indicates incompatible CPU effects, can you tell me the resolution of this problem, please?
Do I need to run on old CPU effects? Do you have a solution to continue the project on GPU effects, please?

Thanks for your help.

That’s just the way it is. If you have GPU effects enabled, you can only open projects created with GPU effects enabled. If you have GPU effects disabled, you can only open projects created with GPU effects disabled. And there is no converter to convert a project between GPU and non-GPU versions.

You can turn GPU effects on and off easily enough, so if you need to open the old MLT file, just disable GPU effects. Shotcut will restart in non-GPU mode and you will be able to open the file.

Personally, I’ve given up on GPU effects in Shotcut. On my particular hardware (Core i7 9700k and RTX 3060), exporting videos takes way longer with GPU effects enabled, and one feature I need simply does not work. But don’t forget that GPU effects are marked as unstable, and that there’s a big warning displayed when you turn them on, so if you choose to turn this on, you do so at your own risk.

1 Like

Shotcut GPU effects is not for speed since there is no fully GPU-based decode, processing, and encoding pipeline in our engine. Thus, uncompressed video is being transferred multiple times between CPU and GPU memory over a bus making it slow. GPU effects were reintroduced May 2023 for quality purposes since only it supports linear color processing and an end-to-end 10-bit pipeline. I am looking into a full end-to-end GPU pipeline, but it is very slow going and the continually changing GPU API landscape is not helping.

Yeah, I understand it’s a big hairy problem to tackle, especially on a multiplatform project that isn’t backed by a corporate budget for a big team of developers. If at some point Shotcut can make better use of the processing muscle of a GPU, that will be a nice addition. In the meantime, with GPU effects disabled Shotcut gets the job done for me.

1 Like