Importing DV from Canopus?

Can I import a video from Canopus ADVC 110 (firewire) into Shortcut and record it?

Yes, of course. I have done this many times with a similar device. Your Canopus will likely save to disk as a filename.dv file. Shotcut or any video editor will know what to do with it when you import.

-=Ken=-

Thanks for the tip. What I don’t know is how to capture and import the dv file from the source. The video capture programs I found all capture videos from the internet (youtube, vimeo, etc.), but not from a device.

Ok, you need to get the output from the Canopus into your PC. That will require a Firewire connection. You can buy a Firewire/1394a or b card for a desktop PC. Not sure how you would do this with a laptop.

-=Ken=-

Thanks again. What software do you use to import the output of the Canopus into the computer? Can Shortcut do that?

Found a solution, using dvgrab in linux. Thanks again.

1 Like

Very good! I have used dvgrab as well. There is one other possibility for capture on Linux with a visual display. Our fearless Leader still makes available a “retired” video editor named KINO. I often use it only for capturing with a a visual display. BTW, look for the on-line docs for dvgrab and notice who the author is…

-=Ken=-

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.