I can't use my second monitor using my GTX 1660

In the latest update (Shotcut version 23.05.07) I can’t use my second screen to edit. This thing don’t happened in older versions. Theres will be a update that allow us to use Nvidia Graphic cards?

1 Like

You should explain this better. What does it mean you “can’t use” and “to edit?” Are you simply trying to move the app window to another screen? Are you referring to the Settings > Player > External Monitor that our release notes (see “News” at the top of this page) says was removed in this version?
You can use NVIDIA cards; I do with no problem!

Thank you for your support!
My particular problem is about: “Settings > Player > External Monitor** with a system monitor (not Blackmagic peripheral) is no longer available.”
How can use this function again?

1 Like

I too have the same problem, the item is missing in the menu. Is there solution? Or did they remove the feature?

Please read the release notes. under Drawbacks and Limitations

Drawbacks and Limitations

• Settings > Player > External Monitor with a system monitor (not Blackmagic peripheral) is no longer available.
  • Export progress no longer shows on the Windows taskbar icon.
  • The minimum version for Windows is now Windows 10. Older systems can continue to use version 22.12.
  • The minimum version of our non-Flatpak Linux binaries is now based on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, which uses glibc 2.31. This is due to modern C++ requirements in dependencies, and bundling libstdc++ can break non-bundled system components. Previously, it was based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, whose support period ended in April, 2023. Older systems can continue to use version 22.12, or maybe the Flatpak will work.

Found here: Shotcut - News

This is beginning to look like a bug.
I am using the Kubuntu flavor of Ubuntu 22.10; older versions of Shotcut see the External Monitor, the new version does not.
Will upgrading to Ubuntu 22.12 (or Ubuntu 23.04, as I am about to do) fix this?

You did not read the thread above. The release notes state that the feature was removed due to underlying libraries being upgraded. It is unfortunate that the feature can not be preserved. But it is not a bug.

So then you are saying that one of the main reasons I chose Shotcut in the first place will never ever be supported again, and that no effort will be taken to find a way to restore this feature?

1 Like

I do not say that. Maybe someone will find a way to add it back. Or you can continue to use 22.12.21.

That is very much better.
The progress on GPU effects looks so promising, I would hate to lock myself into the past.

There is still the option of adding a Blackmagic DeckLink card and monitoring through it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1716775-REG/blackmagic_design_bdlkminimon3g_decklink_mini_monitor_hd.html

Not an option for me; I have spent years getting my hardware rig “perfect”, and there are no slots left.

Same here. Disappointing and frustrating that it has been removed without some other alternative in place. Having the display preview on another monitor was helpful.

And just so no one else will get stuck with this, I couldn’t get rid of the blank display in the software and the external monitor being a full display of white on the second monitor. You have to load an older version of Shotcut and go

Settings > Player > External Monitor > None

to turn it off and get it back displaying in the Shotcut window correctly.

1 Like

As a software engineer, if I were to approach this problem (knowing the library maker had abandoned a critical function), I would explore whether the panels of the Shotcut app window, which currently can be resized and rearranged, could be moved to new windows, as most apps these days provide. While it would not give a totally dedicated external monitor (the new window would have the controls at the bottom, the frame, etc.), it could be drug to the other system monitor and full-screened there, giving the needed separate “big picture”. This capability would give the additional advantage of allowing the Timeline to be put in a separate window (or even a third monitor) which would be very handy when working with many tracks.

1 Like

We would love to have your help with this!

2 Likes

There was an effort, and I will revisit it with new versions and when I feel like it.

there are no slots left

They have USB3 too.

removed without some other alternative in place

Alternative already mentioned. The Blackmagic peripheral is superior as well because not only is it showing pure video direct from the engine, but also the Shotcut on-video controls are not on the separate screen.

I couldn’t get rid of the blank display in the software and the external monitor being a full display of white on the second monitor. You have to load an older version of Shotcut and go

Fixed for the next version. But now you could see the bug.

I would explore whether the panels of the Shotcut app window, which currently can be resized and rearranged, could be moved to new windows, as most apps these days provide. While it would not give a totally dedicated external

All panels except the center window can already be floated as a separate window and moved to a separate screen. I made an experiment to the make the player relocatable and floatable, but it results in the same all white window bug that the old external monitor feature has.

Another alternative is to simply use a larger monitor with a high resolution display setting in the OS.

Thanks.

Lots of useful info and ideas.

With the main window having only the Player remaining in the main window, and up on the big flatscreen above, the timeline on the right-hand screen and everything else exiled to the left-hand screen, I will have exactly what I need for my purposes. Having the controls with the player is a plus with me; that’s what I expect when proofing in VLC.

LOL, the Player is the only panel I tried to move, no wonder I though thought they couldn’t be moved.

This is going to work.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Yes, thank you to you and your team Mr. Dennedy (Shotcut Lead), for all the work you’ve done thus far.

I too only tried to move the player panel.

I have moved all the control panels to my other screen as kagsundaram has done. This should work just fine until a software integrated external player panel solution can be possibly worked in. On top of that the layout also saves with no issue so far, I’ve saved a custom layout, just in case.

Thanks all. Great work. Great forum.

1 Like

That’s more or less what I’done. I put the main window with the player on one screen and the other ones on the other sceen. That’s not a perfect solution, but it’s a good workarround.