I can't rotate from landscape to portrait without problems!

Hi All

Newby alert !

I’m liking this software, it seems very capable but I am having trouble rotating a landscape orientation vid in to portrait orientation and then cropping it to lose the large surrounding frame and just end up with the video in portrait without a large landscape frame around it.

I have started by adding a custom video mode including the portrait aspect ratio required (based on the size of the camera’s sensor I’m using).

I then open the landscape video, rotate and scale it to lose any black edges. It looks great in Shotcut (portrait orientation with no frame around it) but when I export it the video appears back to landscape orientation and is completely squashed with a big black frame top and bottom.

I’m new to this, could anyone help with what I doing wrong here please ?

Thanks

Gary

I’m thinking that when you created the custom video mode, you didn’t change the aspect ratio.
2020-01-22_10-33-11

You can confirm this by clicking on Master (Timeline), then Properties.
2020-01-22_10-33-43

Set your video mode for vertical.
For this exact size there is a preset in Video Mode - Non Broadcast - Vertical 30fps & Vertical 60fps.
shotcut_2020-01-22_09-59-28

Open your file
Rotate video/image.

Export (Default, don’t change anything)

Frame from exported video.

Thanks for this. This is exactly what I thought I did tbh.

I set the video mode to a portrait orientation in the aspect ratio, which is what I wanted to export the video as. So for example instead of 6x4 in the aspect ratio boxes I entered 4x6.

It all looked good with editing until I exported and then the final MP4 was still in landscape and badly distorted.

Anyway, I have turned it all off, turned on again and reset everything. I’ve set up a custom video mode and used my camera’s sensor dimensions again. This time it has worked and I have exported a portrait oriented video ! Not sure why it wouldn’t work before but I’m guessing it was probably pilot error somewhere.

Thanks again.

G

I have found LosslessCut to be a great tool to rotate a video before putting it into the editor.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.