HSL tool

I’m quite used to make small color corrections in Lightroom using the HSL (Hue, Saturation and Luminance) tool. It provides sliders for each color channel, allowing you to make precise changes to the hue, saturation, and luminance of specific colors. It seems that the Color Grading is the closest filter in Shotcut to this tool, but it provides controls for adjusting shadows, midtones, and highlights instead of separate sliders for each color channel.

I was wondering if there is something similar in Shotcut.

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

The closest match in Shotcut would be the Hue/Lightness/Saturation filter I guess.
But I often wish it could be used on a specific color only, like the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer does in Photoshop.

In the example below, with only one Hue/Saturation adjustment layer I’m able to make the green, yellow and red brushes match the color of the blue brush.

1 Like

Yep, it would be really cool to be able to target a specific color. It’s the only thing I miss.

You can try to use Mask: Chroma Key and Mask: Apply to target a color to adjust.

1 Like

I tried your suggestion and it works mostly but for some reason, sometimes the chroma key mask affects colors other than those selected. For example, when I select a cyan color using the chroma key color picker, the mask also affects colors opposite to cyan (skin colors than don’t have any cyan in them).

Some things for you to consider since there is no easy button for this:

• Maybe you put the filters in the wrong order.
  • Maybe the key’s Distance parameter is too high.
  • With chroma keys and masks in general, sometimes you need to add another mask to include or exclude regions of the frame: a so-called garbage matte if you want to study more about that. To do that in Shotcut you add one or more Mask: Simple Shape or Mask: Draw filters after the Mask: Chroma Key and change the Operation parameter that controls how the alpha channels combine.
1 Like

Mask: Chroma Key can only create one mask. If you need to modify more than one color, how should you proceed?

That is a limitation currently. The only way is to export the clip to an intermediate or lossless format, and add a new set of filters on that output.

Thank you, I hope there will be new features to solve this problem in the near future