HowTo sync video clips to beat in music files

See https://www.mltframework.org

Thanks.
So with release 7.0.0 from May 2, 2021 the chains are introduced.
Producers are still valid currently.
Will there be any conversion in the near future from producers in pre 7 MLTs to chains if one opens the old file and saves as a new one?

That is not planned.

1 Like

I can’t think of a reason why this would not work.

The only difference between a producer and a chain is that a chain can have the timewarp filter applied to it. So if it is not important to be able to use timewarp, then just go with producers - and then it will still be backwards compatible with older versions of Shotcut/MLT.

1 Like

the MLT format has changed and allows for absolute timestamps. Maybe Shotcut will support markers that one can import from a file.. .

The reason why i still prefer this video track for beats is that it can be seen visually and it can be removed on a per-song basis.
That wouldn’t be possible with markers until there will be multiple marker tracks.

I think markers are good for marking a scene or exporting only a portion of the project.

Music beats produce a lot of markers that you only need once to align all the clips within that song to a subset of the markers. I usually delete that beat track afterwards.

I’m trying v59, but it doesn’t find the mp3 audio track in the project - only lists the .mxf files. What am I doing wrong?

.mxf files are new to me. Is that your source video format?
What Shotcut version do you use?

Maybe the mlt format has changed again?! You can try with a previous version mentioned here to exclude this.

And you can also paste a snippet of the .mlt file with 5 lines above and below the line containing your .mp3 filename.

I’m using Shotcut version 23.12.15. I’m not sure which version of mlt you’re referring to or how to revert, but will try to work it out.

This is the .mlt snippet:

<chain id="chain6" out="00:02:02.640">
    <property name="length">00:02:02.680</property>
    <property name="eof">pause</property>
    <property name="resource">//foder/Media//Audio/music-21522.mp3</property>
    <property name="mlt_service">avformat-novalidate</property>
    <property name="meta.media.nb_streams">1</property>
    <property name="meta.media.0.stream.type">audio</property>
    <property name="meta.media.0.codec.sample_fmt">fltp</property>
    <property name="meta.media.0.codec.sample_rate">44100</property>
    <property name="meta.media.0.codec.channels">2</property>
    <property name="meta.media.0.codec.name">mp3float</property>
    <property name="meta.media.0.codec.long_name">MP3 (MPEG audio layer 3)</property>
    <property name="meta.media.0.codec.bit_rate">256000</property>
    <property name="seekable">1</property>
    <property name="audio_index">0</property>
    <property name="video_index">-1</property>
    <property name="creation_time">2023-12-19T12:16:40</property>
    <property name="astream">0</property>
    <property name="xml">was here</property>
    <property name="shotcut:hash">7bf5d03414f899f2ff004b585378d7db</property>

(The MXF files are a video saved in the ‘Material Exchange file format’, developed by The Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. They were shot on Panasonic equipment).